You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-30 09:39:14

pacorrop

Booting Arch from USB - kernel panic

Hi there!

Well, that's the point: I've installed Arch in my USB key, according to the wiki. Everything went fine, except for that booting from USB didn't work. System says "root device was not found" and prompt is "ramfs $".

I solved this by adding usb and usbinput hooks into mkinitcpio.conf, rebuilding initrd, and copying vmlinuz image from CD live into USB stick. If I don't copy vmlinuz image, system hangs on too. Brrr. Kernel version in CD is 2.6.30.

So, I copy vmlinuz to USB, system boots up from the key (yeahhh) and I do pacman -Syu. But, the system after upgrading to kernel version 2.6.33 won't boot up anymore from USB, it crashes.

I do see that mkinitcpio executes when upgrading, generates a new initrd image, so functional vmlinuz is overwritten by new kernel's, that (I think) doesn't seem to work on USB support at boot.

So, is there a way to make my USB key bootable again? Recompiling the kernel by adding USB support at boot, maybe? I've tried with that, but my progress in this is an enormous kernel panic and I'm discouraged sad

Board footer