You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-01 03:04:44

zowki
Website

GNOME screen real estate

I find that GNOME takes up a lot of screen real estate, my screen resolution is very small and stuff takes up a lot of space. Can anyone suggest any GNOME themes that are minimal and space saving?

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#2 2010-05-01 03:42:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: GNOME screen real estate

The theme doesn't make too much of a difference IMO. Try removing one of the default panels and changing the size of the other one.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-05-01 04:18:09

zowki
Website

I don't really know why I'm asking this on the Arch forums because I'm actually trying out the newly released Ubuntu 10.04. These screenshots shows how space wasting GNOME is:
http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensour … tu%2010.04

Notice how Firefox toolbars take up a quarter of the screen. I bet the Ubuntu developers had monstrous sized monitors so they never noticed how much space it was using.

Last edited by zowki (2010-05-01 04:20:32)

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#4 2010-05-01 05:35:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Ask in ubuntuforums.org then....

Things like app toolbars are app-specific. My firefox toolbar is cut back (remove bookmarks, remove the whole menu and replace it with a button, reduce icon size). It has absolutely nothing to do with Gnome, the only part which is gnome-dependent is the window-bar, and that's regular sized (smaller and you may as well remove it).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-05-01 08:48:27

briest

GTK theme can influence toolbar width. I use xfce-stellar, partially because of its modest screen-space requirements; but sure, there is not much to be gained, max a dozen or so pixels per toolbar.
As for Firefox, I found Tree Style Tab extension very convenient, especially on widescreen -- saves vertical space, using useless wide side margins instead.

#6 2010-05-01 09:24:09

karol
Archivist

vimperator? I have only tabbs on top and two thin "statusbars" at the bottom.
Firefox is quite a configurable app, nobody's forcing you to use the defaults.

#7 2010-05-01 10:42:38

revenant

You could use a screen space saving GTK theme. I myself like and use NOX, which is included in the murrine-themes-collection package in arch. Don't know whether ubuntu has it packaged, however smile

Board footer