You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-02 09:13:03

kokoko3k

Tuxonice: "BIG FAT WARNING!" [SOLVED]

In another thread, i readed that in order to get suspend to disk working on laptop with intel graphics (mainly because of other methods fail due to kms issues) it is possible to use Tuxonice.
I readed the arch wiki on tuxonice, but unfortunately kernel26-ice didn't build, but kernel26-rt-ice from AUR does,so i installed it.
Next, i configured my mkinitcpio.conf like so (relevant parts):

MODULES="intel_agp i915 lzo"
HOOKS="base udev autodetect sata resume filesystems"

i rebuilded the image and edited menu.lst:

# (6) Arch Linux ice
title  Arch Linux ice
root   (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26-rt-ice root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/5404b3fb-ec84-4afc-9b0b-c9891615069d resume=/dev/sda2 ro acpi_osi=Linux i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.modeset=1
initrd /boot/kernel26-rt-ice.img

/etc/hibernate/hibernate.conf

TryMethod suspend2.conf

/etc/hibernate/suspend2.conf

UseSuspend2 yes
Reboot no
EnableEscape yes
DefaultConsoleLevel 1
Compressor lzo
Encryptor none
SuspendDevice swap:/dev/sda2
PowerdownMethod 5
FullSpeedCPU yes
Include common.conf

/etc/hibernate/common.conf

Verbosity 0
LogFile /var/log/hibernate.log
LogVerbosity 10
Distribution arch
SaveClock restore-only
UnloadBlacklistedModules yes
LoadModules auto
SwitchToTextMode yes

Rebooted with new kernel and issued:

/usr/sbin/hibernate -F /etc/hibernate/suspend2.conf

The screen went black for a while (disk activity) and after a very short while it went off.
Then i powered it on, but i presume that as soon as it tried to resume it rebooted again.
When i powered it on again, it wrote:
"waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/sda2"
but it waited about 25 seconds, failing to resume.

some relevant dmesg output here:

TuxOnIce 3.1 (http://tuxonice.net)
TuxOnIce: Can't translate "/dev/sda2" into a device id yet.
PM: Checking image partition /dev/sda2
PM: Resume from disk failed.
[..]
TuxOnIce: Image found.
Using dev_t 8:2, returned by blk_lookup_uuid.
=== TuxOnIce ===

BIG FAT WARNING!!

You have tried to resume from this image before.
If it failed once, it may well fail again.
Would you like to remove the image and boot normally?
This will be equivalent to entering noresume on the
kernel command line.

Press SPACE to remove the image or C to continue resuming.

Default action if you don't select one in 25 seconds is: remove the image.
TuxOnIce: Tried to resume before: Invalidated image.
PM: Resume from partition 8:2
PM: Checking hibernation image.
PM: Error -22 checking image file
PM: Resume from disk failed.
[..]

I tried to hibernate from console and from X and passing i915.lvds_downclock=0 i915.modeset=0 to the kernel, enable/disable suspend image compression with no success at all.

Is someone able to explain me what is going on?

I'm using an eeepc 1005ha
Thank you very much.

Last edited by kokoko3k (2010-05-02 10:30:49)

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#2 2010-05-02 10:30:21

kokoko3k

Re: Tuxonice: "BIG FAT WARNING!" [SOLVED]

Ok, just forget what i wrote, adding solved to thread title, because using kernel26-ice instead of kernel26-rt-ice solved the issue.

#3 2010-05-03 02:08:26

Gen2ly
Website

Isn't 'rt' for real-time?  Be careful using a real-time kernel, you'll discover is some places it may not perform as expected.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#4 2010-05-03 02:28:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

kerne26-rt-ice and kernel26-ice are identical (only enable different patchsets) in config etc., especially pertaining to the '-ice' part.

Last edited by ngoonee (2010-05-03 08:47:50)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-05-03 06:06:30

kokoko3k

Did both kernel26-rt-ice and  kernel26-ice enable realtime patches?

BTW, the patchset enabled by kernel26-rt-ice did not allow my netbook to resume from suspend to disk and caused hard lookup when trying to allocate a resume file.
Just swapping the kernels solved the issue.

#6 2010-05-03 08:48:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

ngoonee wrote:

kerne26-rt-ice and kernel26-ice are identical (only enable different patchsets) in config etc., especially pertaining to the '-ice' part.

You could just read the PKGBUILDs themselves, you know? They're not too long, and the start of the kernel26-rt-ice PKGBUILD states explicitly that its identical to kernel26-ice except for some of the patchsets....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2010-05-03 09:30:44

kokoko3k

Understood.
Seems like rt-patchset are applied to kernel26-rt-ice only (what a surprise tongue )
I was confused by the fact that kernel26-ice tried to explicitely download patch-2.6.33.3-rt16.bz2 (without applying it), and that was the reason because in first place that pkgbuild didn't worked for me (404 trying to download rt16.bz2 file).

#8 2010-05-04 05:57:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

kokoko3k wrote:

Understood.
Seems like rt-patchset are applied to kernel26-rt-ice only (what a surprise tongue )
I was confused by the fact that kernel26-ice tried to explicitely download patch-2.6.33.3-rt16.bz2 (without applying it), and that was the reason because in first place that pkgbuild didn't worked for me (404 trying to download rt16.bz2 file).

That's because the maintainer of kernel26-ice (iceman81) is moving to Cambridge currently. On the git repo I've updated that patch to the latest. kernel26-rt-ice is my package, which is just a renaming of his package which defaults to -rt patchset.

Board footer