You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-02 18:06:09

bkadoctaj

[SOLVED]Unable to boot eMac with Arch PPC

Hi everyone,

I just got into Arch and I realized there was a PPC port, so I decided to see if I could replace Ubuntu on my eMac (USB 2.0) with it.  Unfortunately, I am unable to boot, getting stuck with the loading of the second-stage bootstrap.  What should I be looking for in order to diagnose and conceivably remedy this issue?

I get the flashing folder with an alternating Mac face and question mark.

EDIT: Please see the link to the archlinuxppc-user mailing list for the resolution to my issue.  smile  I hope it helps someone else.

Last edited by bkadoctaj (2010-05-12 07:37:38)

#2 2010-05-10 18:22:39

DaNiMoTh

Re: [SOLVED]Unable to boot eMac with Arch PPC

Hi, is the emac 64 bit?

If not, it should be bootable, please write the complete log (or what fails)

If you want faster reply, use the archlinuxppc-user google's mailing list.

Thank you

#3 2010-05-11 17:16:36

bkadoctaj

Re: [SOLVED]Unable to boot eMac with Arch PPC

Hi DaNiMoTh,

Thanks for the reply.  Well, I have just made a post at the mailing list page, so hopefully it will be approved by the moderators soon.  The situation has somewhat changed as I have attempted to reinstall Arch PPC on the eMac since then.  Now I am immediately taken to the second-stage yaboot screen at boot and I have no access to OpenFirmware.  When I use the Live CD to mount the / and /home partitions of /dev/hda, all I see in / is /home and /lost+found, while in /home all I see is /lost+found.  It appears that Arch PPC never actually installed, and I have no idea why.  I guess the files in /mnt were never copied to /.  I'm so confused by all this, but I really desire to understand what is happening and how I can get this computer up and running.  If you have any thoughts at all, please don't hesitate to share.  I'm completely willing to do some reading, but I have not seen reports of a similar situation yet.

By the way, my eMac is 32-bit.

Thanks,
bkadoctaj

EDIT: I'm not sure how I can get a log for any of this, especially since it appears the install never completed, even though nothing during the install process suggested that was the case.

EDIT 2: Forget this thread...  The discussion has been continued over at http://groups.google.com/group/archlinu … f4b89ad2ad

Thank you for the assistance.  smile

Last edited by bkadoctaj (2010-05-11 21:45:57)

Board footer