You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-03 02:32:44

Ellipsys

Tri-Boot w/Arch, Ubuntu, Windows. Installation order and GRUB behavior

Evening all. I've come to the point that I've finally decided to install Arch on my main PC (as it is working very well on my NAS box), and I just wanted to check a few things to be sure that all three of my potential operating systems will coexist nicely.   I understand that it is important to install Windows first, so that its bootloader can be overwritten by a Linux bootloader like GRUB - all I have to do is make sure GRUB's conf has the proper data uncommented for booting a windows system, correct?  The question I have is with two separate linux distributions....

At current, I have 2 hard drives on this PC. One 300gb HDD completely formatted in NTFS where Windows 7 x64 resides, and another 750gb unformatted for linux.   I'm planning to install Arch x64 to be my "Main" linux system, and Ubuntu 10.04 x64 to be my "Stable, backup" Linux OS. Both of these will reside on separate partitions on the 750gb HDD.   The question is which do I install first, so there are no conflicts? My initial feeling would be to install Ubuntu first that its (perhaps older) version of GRUB will be overwritten by Arch's when I install it?    In this case, I still would install GRUB to the MBR that it can boot OSes on any HDD, correct?   

My other question is if there should be any partition "sharing" between my Ubuntu and Arch installs. The Roots certainly need to be on different partitions, and I assume that because of the varied differences that /home partitions should be unique as well?  However, Linux Swap is Linux Swap, right? If I create a Swap partition (Say, 6gb) can I have it designated that both installs share the swap, since its obvious that only one of them will be active at a time?  Anything else I should know about having Windows and multiple forms of Linux coexist nicely?   Thanks.

#2 2010-05-03 03:14:30

munkyeetr

Re: Tri-Boot w/Arch, Ubuntu, Windows. Installation order and GRUB behavior

If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.

"More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly." -- Woody Allen

#3 2010-05-03 03:16:11

munkyeetr

Edit: reply posted twice.

Last edited by munkyeetr (2010-05-03 03:16:56)

If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.

"More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly." -- Woody Allen

#4 2010-05-03 04:07:00

oldmerovingian

I would use different /home partitions, especially if you plan on using the same DE or WM.  Only because the config files may cause issues depending on the settings.  You could always have two seperate /home partitions and set up fstab to mount the other automatically at boot. 

I used to have Ubuntu and Arch installed, and installed Arch first, then Ubuntu.  Ubuntu uses GRUB2, and likes to manage the boot loader with update-grub. It found Arch with no problem, and kept the bootloader updated with new kernels as well.  If you use Grub Legacy, which is the boot loader on Arch, you will need to configure it yourself to find Ubuntu.  Then each new kernel will require you to update it. 

It is up to you.

#5 2010-05-03 10:18:08

demian

You can use the same swap. With the appropriate driver you can even use the swap partition in Windows to dump the swap file on it (or use it for hibernating). You can share /home between the linux partitions, too, if you choose different usernames.

The easiest way is to install Windows, Arch and then Ubuntu, since Ubuntu will automatically detect the previous partitions.
But you can really choose any order of installation, even Windows last or Linux, Windows, Linux etc. You'd just have to install GRUB manually in that case.

Regards,
demian

no place like /home
github

#6 2010-05-03 10:48:58

grey

demian wrote:

You can share /home between the linux partitions, too, if you choose different usernames.

That's an interesting idea that I haven't come across before. I'll try that next time I feel like installing another distro.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#7 2010-05-03 14:18:10

demian

For sharing files between windows and linux you also might want to install a ntfs partition (instead of a big home partition). NTFS-3G is very stable so i wouldn't recommend fat(32) anymore for its obvious drawbacks like lack of journaling, rights management, long file names, also small maximum file size and the likes.

no place like /home
github

#8 2010-05-03 15:07:57

oldmerovingian

You can share /home between the linux partitions, too, if you choose different usernames.

Good point!

Board footer