You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-01 12:51:32

usenix

arabic fonts

i urgently need for my studies arabic fonts support on my arch system.
since browsing arabic web sites and composing emails in arabic with mozilla is no problem, i suppose arabic fonts are already installed. but what i have to do that they work with other applications - especially with abiword and aterm?

any help would be appreciated   roll

#2 2005-02-01 13:26:41

dp
Website

Re: arabic fonts

usenix wrote:

i urgently need for my studies arabic fonts support on my arch system.
since browsing arabic web sites and composing emails in arabic with mozilla is no problem, i suppose arabic fonts are already installed. but what i have to do that they work with other applications - especially with abiword and aterm?

any help would be appreciated   roll

i have no experience with arabic fonts, but if you have a font installed, that has arabic chars, you have then only to make sure, you can input arabic (in kde switch keyboard to some country that uses arabic) .... wait a min .. i have to google for more infos ...

EDIT:
you need one of this fonts:
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fontsbyrange.html#u0600

شفثشفنشتارمنسشرارمنساةرممايشلخىرهحعقجةؤصخعثىشسرميابكىنترششىب

seems to work with arial from ttf-ms-fonts

[URL=http://www.imagehosting.us/?id=194408&type=viewpic]ihnp-194408thumb.png[/URL]

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2005-02-01 13:30:58

usenix

hello db!

i already googled without success - may be i used the wrong key words but the once solution i found was yast related and as far as i know from my suse time arabic fonts or chars are already enabled on suse  roll

i got bitstream vera on my system and may be this are the fonts used by mozilla:
  رايس تؤيد قيام دولة فلسطينية

but how do i make them work on other applications???

#4 2005-02-01 13:42:41

dp
Website

usenix wrote:

but how do i make them work on other applications???

abiword is easy ... but aterm i think you need a non-ttf font to have with this unicode chars .... hmm ... can be difficult ... good luck

EDIT:
found this: http://www.arabeyes.org/

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#5 2005-02-01 16:01:46

arooaroo
Website

Just to confirm, but as someone who has had experience with displaying Arabic on Linux, the bitstream vera fonts have the necessary glyphs. The ms-ttf-fonts are also good (thini arial and times new roman).

I've never used abiword, but OpenOffice has always coped. With regards to terminals, I've not had any experience. I recall Suse 9.1 worked ok from Konsole, but I think it had utf-8 encoding enabled by default.

#6 2005-02-10 12:37:23

anadyr

I have to use arabic fonts as well. The thing is that I am still on slackware. switching to arch asap (hate the compiling all the time)... there are some free ttf fonts available:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile … e_id=75554
after you installed them running setxkbmap -rules "xfree86" -model "pc102" -layout ar will change to arabic keyboard layout. works fine in OO...
running setxkbmap -rules "xfree86" -model "pc101" -layout us switches it back to english
I don.t know anything about arabic consoles, but there are websites for that...

#7 2005-02-10 15:13:36

arooaroo
Website

I have found that both KDE and GNOME have handy little applets that allow you to switch between various keyboard layouts at the click of a mouse.

Might not be the Arch Linux spirit mind, compared to some proper setxkbmap action.

Board footer