You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-06 12:39:07

felace

[SOLVED]tuxonice not working, is wiki incomplete ?

Hello,

I've done exactly everyting described in http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tuxonice, yet the "hibernate -F /etc/hibernate/suspend2.conf" command gives me :

TuxOnIce: No extra_pages_allowance entry available. Not setting.
Your kernel does not appear to have TuxOnIce support compiled in.
Please follow the HOWTO linked from http://www.tuxonice.net/ for instructions
on how to compile TuxOnIce into your kernel.
hibernate: Aborting.

I just thought it's not explicitly told to change the grub menu list, so I changed vmlinuz26 and kernel26 to their *-ice variants.
I assume it's perfectly normal to have a few custom modules not present in the new kernel (and the archlinux logo on the top of screen is replaced), but I don't even get to the graphical login I set up. When I revert back to the stock kernel, everything's fine (except I can't hibernate)

Are there a few steps that aren't stated on the wiki or am I doing something wrong ?

Last edited by felace (2010-05-07 20:05:54)

#2 2010-05-06 23:15:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]tuxonice not working, is wiki incomplete ?

felace wrote:

I just thought it's not explicitly told to change the grub menu list, so I changed vmlinuz26 and kernel26 to their *-ice variants.
<snip>
Are there a few steps that aren't stated on the wiki or am I doing something wrong ?

You renamed the files, or just changed the grub listing to point to kernel26-ice files? And no, you have to manage grub yourself, then BOOT into your tuxonice-enabled kernel. You can't hibernate using tuxonice on the Arch default kernel.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-05-07 19:40:28

felace

Re: [SOLVED]tuxonice not working, is wiki incomplete ?

Installing the new nvidia driver from testing repo & the nvidia-ice solved it, the newly compiled kernel gave me some errors about not being able to recognize my client driver version and stuff. And hibernation&resume are blazing fast compared to the other methods I've tried, wow.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by felace (2010-05-07 19:41:07)

Board footer