You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-07 04:23:49

viruzeno

Rip DVD with two audio streams

Hi,

This is no doubt covered somewhere else, however I have spent the past few hours looking for an answer to no avail, decided to just post up asking.

I have a small collection of anime DVD's, and I would like to rip them all to .mkv files with, both English and Japanese audio and English subs as an option (not hard-coded). this is so I can put the DVD's into storage to free up some space in my unit. I know how to rip them with one audio stream and subs, but I would like both in there as sometimes I like to watch them in English.

Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I currently use mplayer via acidrip.

-ViruZeno
This arch has super cow powers.

#2 2010-05-07 06:48:44

kevku

Re: Rip DVD with two audio streams

h264enc?

#3 2010-05-07 12:49:55

Nepherte
Website

I found this a valuable tutorial: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=273635. It is also how I rip my movies to mkv, aside from a few altered encoding options. To get multiple audio tracks, you rip the audio tracks you want and put them all in the mkv, the same applies to subtitles (which are not hard coded btw). If you're looking for a graphical tool, ogmrip does something similar.

#4 2010-05-08 03:27:19

stqn
Website

I recently had success with Handbrake. It's got a bug regarding audio channels though, they sometimes change for no reason (when you save a profile most notably), but after resetting them to the correct channels, it works fine.

I used the "mp4v" codec for video (whatever it is, I think it's more or less Xvid -- h264 needs too much cpu time to decode) and Vorbis for audio. The DVD was ripped under Windows with DVDFab HD Decryptor due to its protection (which prevented the DVD from being watched on TV), and subtitles where created also under Windows with... err... some other program smile. [Edit: SubRip, that was.]

Also mkvmerge ("mmg" in the mkvtoolnix package, IIRC) is useful at the end to fix the subtitles over and over... (or add an audio track or whatever.)

Last edited by stqn (2010-05-08 14:15:58)

#5 2010-05-08 05:25:40

viruzeno

Thanks for the fast replies,

yes i will be using h264, I'll have to have a look at this OGMRip program, or attempt to configure a script, as I really don't want to enter in 10 commands per episode, so I'll need to somewhat automate the process.

I was using handbrake last year, but I switched to acid-rip as it was so simple and i found it was much more compatible, I'll give it another go if it can do multi channel audio and MKV's.

Once again thanks for the fast replies, Thats the main reason I use arch, for the community and AUR. I'll post back in a few days after I try the above two programs out.

-ViruZeno
This arch has super cow powers.

Board footer