You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-07 11:49:48

falsum

[SOLVED] Xmonad and workplaces

Hi all,

I'm currently using Xmonad as my windows manager without the aid of any desktop environment like gnome or kde. Since I use many workplaces with different applications running in each one of them, sometimes when I want to find a certain application that is already running like firefox  -- or even check if it's in fact running in some workplace -- I have to switch to many workplaces before I find the application in question -- or, alternatively, realize that I didn't start the application at all sad. This process of looking for an application in different workplaces can be a little annoying sometimes and I have the impression that this is a procedure that can be somehow automated.

Thus I'm looking for a way of doing the following (while using Xmonad): think of an application --> check if it is running in some workplace --> in case the application is running in some workplace be able to switch to the application's workplace. 

(Just trying to put my question in a different way: with gnu screen we can get the list of all open windows with the command C-a ". This command also allows us to switch to a specific window. In the case of emacs users, the ibuffer mode offers similar functionality. My question can be thus put in the following way: is there anything like windowlist (gnu screen) or ibuffer mode (emacs) that works with Xmonad that lists the applications with their worksplaces and allows us to switch to any of the listed applications?)

Hope this makes some sense...

Thanks!

Last edited by falsum (2010-05-08 09:22:56)

#2 2010-05-07 12:41:53

Cyrusm

Re: [SOLVED] Xmonad and workplaces

I found this in the xmonad contrib archive, I think this might be what you're looking for.

I may give it a try too, sometimes I misplace windows as well.

http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-co … indow.html

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#3 2010-05-07 12:52:21

fsckd
Forum Fellow

There are also many pager apps that create a "thumbnail" of each workspace and the windows in the workspaces. Sadly, all of the ones I've tried are broken in one way or another or are outdated and no longer maintained or both.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#4 2010-05-07 13:57:58

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Also take a look at GridSelect.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2010-05-07 13:58:27)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2010-05-07 21:43:23

falsum

Thanks so much for the suggestions. The two strategies you mentioned above, with gridselect and with xprompt, worked beautifully. Xmonad rocks!

Board footer