You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-02 15:54:14

haohmaru

sound is mute on every reboot

Every time I reboot my system, the default levels in ALSAmixer is set to 0 and is mute. My user is member in audio group, I have set the levels correctly and have done alsactl store.
But still, I have to set the levels after every restart. It is really annoying.

"Let one live alone doing no evil, care-free, like an elephant in the elephant forest." - Buddha

#2 2005-02-02 16:12:26

dp
Website

Re: sound is mute on every reboot

haohmaru wrote:

Every time I reboot my system, the default levels in ALSAmixer is set to 0 and is mute. My user is member in audio group, I have set the levels correctly and have done alsactl store.
But still, I have to set the levels after every restart. It is really annoying.

alsactl restore

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2005-02-02 16:17:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

get the alsamixer script from the wiki and use that... basically you may have done the "alsactl store" for the initial time, but there is nothing restoring these values on a reboot - the alsamixer script will take care of that...

#4 2005-02-02 18:43:20

haohmaru

Just added alsactl restore to rc.local instead. Why is this necessary? In Slackware this is taken care of automatically.

"Let one live alone doing no evil, care-free, like an elephant in the elephant forest." - Buddha

#5 2005-02-02 18:46:48

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

haohmaru wrote:

Just added alsactl restore to rc.local instead. Why is this necessary? In Slackware this is taken care of automatically.

It's doing the same thing... in slackware it's provided for you... in arch it is not... arch is targeted to the competent linux user who doesn't want everything done automatically...
the alsamixer script does the same thing, it's community provided here

all in all, it's not that hard to do for yourself...

#6 2005-02-02 20:25:04

sarah31
Website

haohmaru wrote:

Why is this necessary? In Slackware this is taken care of automatically.

Why? Because it is up to the user to maintain his/her system and this is how a base system would be without  all the customization some distros do. Slackware was nice and had scripts but Arch isn't Slackware now is it wink

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2005-02-02 20:56:40

haohmaru

Fine, fine. I get the point, and to some extent I agree. It makes sense to install alsa and set the mixer settings manually. But I thought that (re-)storing the mixer levels was a part of setting up ALSA, not something that I would have to do manually.

#8 2005-02-02 21:08:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

haohmaru wrote:

Fine, fine. I get the point, and to some extent I agree. It makes sense to install alsa and set the mixer settings manually. But I thought that (re-)storing the mixer levels was a part of setting up ALSA, not something that I would have to do manually.

no the point is that while alsactl provides the ability to store and restore values, it is up to the user to decide when this happens - some want it on reboot, some don't... in a base system, nothing should change - that's why arch doesn't do it automatically

think about it this way:
if, say samba worked this way (automatically started and mounted things on boot), what would happen if samba was installed as a dependancy that you never used - i.e. you havve no network shares to mount and no samba shares on your machine... then you have samba starting every boot, running in the background, consuming some ports, blah blah blah - even worse if there happens to be a security problem with samba - all because it "automatically started" - the mindset in the arch community tends to be "give it to me, I'll turn it on when I want to"

Board footer