You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-11 05:47:35

Galera

Enlightenment

I was wondering why there's so little people using it.... I'm using it and it works fine, great visuals, really lightweight, and extremelly easy to install/configure.

yikes

--
(1714)

#2 2010-05-11 06:09:16

Soley

Re: Enlightenment

20 meg install!? Openbox was like 2! But seriously, I used enlightenment once when it first came out, but I stopped cause it was buggy. I'll give it another go around.

#3 2010-05-11 06:28:34

sand_man

Yeah it is nice but sometimes it just feels a little over the top. I mean even standalone compiz-fusion has it's subtlety.
It's really not as buggy as it used to be though.

neutral

#4 2010-05-11 06:30:51

smakked

Still buggy for me, segfaults all the time so i gave up. Will try it later whne they get to a beta or something, hopefully samsung cash will push it along faster.

Certified Android Junkie
Arch 64

#5 2010-05-11 06:52:16

axel668

Tried it, still a little ruff around the edges ... and the visuals, well, that's a matter of taste, but I have come to prefer clean, simple setups, like a plain simple openbox setup or even recent KDE ... E has too much "steampunk" shinyness, for my taste. Besides I'm in serious doubt if it will ever get finished.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#6 2010-05-11 11:04:22

mythus
Website

I like e17. But I so wish there were more themes for it and that it's menu wasn't such a pain to configure. e17 is nice, and fully functional once you get it set up the way you like it, but these days, it hardly brings something new to the table that can't be replicated with compiz or kde and while e17 is incredibly fast and smooth... it is not necessarily something you look for if you try out e17.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#7 2010-05-11 11:20:44

thisllub

I like the way it handles multiple monitors independently.
Back when I used a 3 monitor desktop I appreciated that.
The run-command works better and faster than any of the alternatives.
It is kind of flaky though.

#8 2010-05-11 16:18:07

pogeymanz

smakked wrote:

Still buggy for me, segfaults all the time so i gave up. Will try it later whne they get to a beta or something, hopefully samsung cash will push it along faster.

This.

Everyone says it works fine for them, but I can't run it for five minutes without it segfaulting on me.

I might be tempted someday to try ecomorph, so I can keep the best parts of Compiz with the neat e17 modules.

#9 2010-05-11 16:56:17

Snakeye

I have it installed on my desktop as well as my aspire one. Works great for a while but eventually flakes out. Until they have a stable version it won't take off. I really like it however and keep it installed and check out how well it progresses with each update.

#10 2010-05-12 06:47:17

pressh
Developer/TU

Snakeye wrote:

Until they have a stable version it won't take off.

If they keep to schedule they will have one soon.

#11 2010-05-12 14:58:46

bwat47

It had some nice effects, but visually it looks completely disgusting.

#12 2010-05-12 20:41:08

nocain

I am curious what people do to cause it to be flaky or crash, maybe I am missing some cool feature that everyone else is using??

What I like about E17 without saying everything
- Lightweight ( yeah yeah openbox fluxbox windowmaker blah blah blah to do everything close to what I get with E17 I have to add a bunch more stuff)
- Fast and by fast I mean holy crap fast
- Easy to install and configure
- Menu's easy to access and modify
- Make it as graphically intensive as you want or as minimalistic as you want, have multiple profiles so hey I want cool visuals now but later maybe not and switch between the profiles on the fly
- Multiple monitors handled independently but function in unison eg 2 monitors gives you 2 desktops NOT virtual Desktops, you can independently set the number of virtual desktops per monitor as well as the behavior of each monitor. If I chose I can link both together on the fly.
- Tiling when I want it how I want it. I can have all of Monitor 1 in tiling, but no tiling on Monitor 2, I can have Virtual desktop 4 on both monitors 1 and 2 tiled and linked together if I want. I can have tiling on some virtual desktops and not on others
- Most everything else

What I don't like:about E17:
- Can't drag desktop files or folders between monitors
- No drag and drop support for the desktops in general
- Built in file manager sucks

I have been using it for the past 2 years at both work and at home and it is really rare that it flakes or crashes. I would say that maybe in the past 6 months it has flaked twice both times was just the an error has occurred press f2 to restart Enlightenment press f7?? to exit both times pressing f2 restarted enlightenment but restored the full state so I didn't look any app data I was working on. As far as a hard crash it has been well over a year since I have seen one of those. I would say that I don't have the simplest setup either, I have 2 monitors on my workstation and an Radeon HD 2400XT and use the proprietary catalyst drivers. My workstation is never turned off and maybe rebooted once every 2 months I work on it 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week and spend a lot of time remoted in to the desktop via FreeNX from home. Only real problems I have had were related to Entrance which has been orphaned and removed.

#13 2010-05-12 21:03:04

VCoolio

I've used it for two years now, and it keeps getting better. It's lightweight, has a good panel and dock option, the launcher (a gnome-do like module called run-everything) is awesome, very light and fast, and everything is very and very easily configurable. I've also used the default theme for most of the two years, but that's a matter of taste of course. The built-in file manager isn't very good indeed, but who cares if there is pcmanfm2 or thunar? There isn't an official release yet, but it's been very usable for years and new features keep coming; and I'd rather have development being done well than just quickly.

#14 2010-05-12 23:16:16

schen

Enlightment got compiz built into it or something...

#15 2010-05-13 01:04:45

seriouslycgi

I cant stand using another desktop since ive used e17 for ages now. all other desktops take so long to get around e17 just makes my workflow faster. something just makes using it seem so much more comfortable.

#16 2010-05-13 01:39:09

sand_man

schen wrote:

Enlightment got compiz built into it or something...

It has its own compositor which I guess is more like xcompmgr or cairo-compmgr but it is not compiz

neutral

#17 2010-05-13 01:50:18

schen

This is what I meant:

http://www.elivecd.org/Download/e17-compiz

Looks pretty cool, huh?

#18 2010-05-13 02:30:55

mythus
Website

The one thing I always wanted to see for enlghtnment ismore etk/efl programs. As it is now, you can use gtk and/or qt apps with no problems but it is not always easy or possible to find a gtk/qt theme that fits well with a etk/efl theme or vice versa. Though I did have a nice theme that I was able to make opera using qt match perfectly... but that seems to be the exception with me instead of the rule.

I mostly would love a efl/etk themed web browser, music manager, and IM client since those are the tools I use the most.

But other than that.... and what I mentioned in my earlier post... I do rather enjoy enlightment.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#19 2010-05-13 05:32:16

fsckd
Forum Fellow

I've had trouble with e16. As for e17, xmonad serves my personal needs better. I can't speak for anybody else.

As for the enlightened web browser, I've heard of rumors over the years but have not yet seen anything substantial. hmm

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#20 2010-05-13 09:04:31

VCoolio

schen wrote:

This is what I meant:

Looks pretty cool, huh?

Actually it's ecomorph and elive is one of the distros to use it. It is pretty cool, but as far as I've understood not going to be maintained and replaced by the builtin comp module, which still has a long way to go. It still works though.
There is also the bling module that provides compositing; that's a fork or whatever you name it from xcompmgr.

#21 2010-05-13 10:44:56

sand_man

schen wrote:

This is what I meant:

Looks pretty cool, huh?

In that whole video all I can remember is the girl grabbing her boob

neutral

#22 2010-05-13 18:00:11

sandsmark
Website

e17 was why I started using Arch in the first place, but it hardly had any native applications, and it was pretty buggy (or at least crash prone) and it felt sluggish, so I went to KDE. And kind of forgot to look back.

#23 2010-05-20 09:34:03

ckh71

One week ago, I switched to e17, and I like it very much.  It's kind of confusing at the beginning, but after some googling, finally I got it configured.  I am enjoying this fast wm now.

One thing I have to say, e17 needs more documents for users in order to attract more people to use it. 

I hope e17 will reach stable release soon.

#24 2010-05-20 09:52:43

gazj
Website

mythus wrote:

The one thing I always wanted to see for enlghtnment ismore etk/efl programs. As it is now, you can use gtk and/or qt apps with no problems but it is not always easy or possible to find a gtk/qt theme that fits well with a etk/efl theme or vice versa. Though I did have a nice theme that I was able to make opera using qt match perfectly... but that seems to be the exception with me instead of the rule.

I mostly would love a efl/etk themed web browser, music manager, and IM client since those are the tools I use the most.

But other than that.... and what I mentioned in my earlier post... I do rather enjoy enlightment.

This is my problem with it.  Seeing as it uses its own toolkit, you end up installing half of gnome or kde, then you have a lovely etk them but you can't find a gtk theme that keeps the look consistant.  Result a hotchpotch desktop environment.

Either we need more native toolkit apps, or e17 needs to focus more on being a window manager rather than a DE

Alhough as a phone or tablet os it probably comes into its own.  Which maybe is it's target ordiance anyway, if so then it will never fit a DE requirements properly.

#25 2010-05-20 10:11:54

gazj
Website

Just installed enlightenment again.  I may have to eat my words, it seems far more stable and complete.  The default theme is much better than it used to be and may even be gtk matchable wink

I might just use it for a while and see how I do

Board footer