You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-13 22:47:42

fatjake

8 second audio lag in EZquake with Alsa? [SOLVED]

I am trying to get EZquake all up-to-speed on my arch system, and everything is fine except for the audio. There is approximately an 8 second delay in the audio.

It seems like there are several things I could do, but it is unclear to me which option is the best.

1) Install OSS and tell EZquake to use OSS instead of alsa, I don't know if this means I need to get rid of alsa or not. I guess that some things like flash might require alsa now, so I don't even know if this is an option.
2) Use oss2jack and tell EZ to use OSS, I assume that this oss2jack lets me take OSS sounds and run it through alsa?
3) There are some other confusing options as well

I am running x86-64 and my soundcard is an Asus Xonar Essence STX (using snd_virtuoso). I would rather not abandon my current alsa setup as it took me quite awhile to get working

Anybody have any experience with this type of problem?

Last edited by fatjake (2010-05-13 23:21:19)

#2 2010-05-13 23:20:35

fatjake

Re: 8 second audio lag in EZquake with Alsa? [SOLVED]

Looks like I got a little bit ahead of myself by posting here. Alsa already has the ability to use OSS sound, if alsa-oss package is installed (it is).

I was able to fix the problem simply by starting ezquake as follows:

ezquake-gl.glx +set s_noalsa 1 +set s_device /dev/dsp +set s_khz 48

#3 2010-05-13 23:25:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

For reference, oss2jack is NOT for OSS -> ALSA, its (as its name suggests) for OSS -> JACK.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-05-14 00:13:34

brebs

I suggest you try darkplaces, which I know has had good ALSA support for years, to see if the huge sound delay is present there. If not, file a bug with ezquake.

In general, you want to stay with "pure" ALSA, because ALSA's support for OSS is incompatible with dmix.

Yes, Linux sound still sucks.

Board footer