You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-14 01:35:53

gowireless

how do i add the "hal" daemon to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf?

I know how to get into the editor for /etc/rc.conf , but what exactly do i type to add "hal" to the array?

#2 2010-05-14 01:38:46

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: how do i add the "hal" daemon to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf?

You are kidding, right?

Most of your posts to date have demonstrated and unwillingness to read the documentation that has been provided by the community. Asking these sorts of asinine questions brings nothing to the community except a sense of frustration and fatigue.

If you want to use Arch, and participate in the community here, do some work yourself.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-05-14 01:40:06

gowireless

correct me if im wrong, but do i just type

@ /etc/rc.d/hal start

under daemons in the /etc/rc.conf  folder?

#4 2010-05-14 01:41:29

gowireless

whoa buddy im new at this, i just dont completely understand the documentation is all, it could be a little more complete i think

#5 2010-05-14 01:42:52

some-guy94

you type hal nothing else, plain and simple

#6 2010-05-14 01:45:02

fsckd
Forum Fellow

ArchLinux is intended for people who are already somewhat experienced with GNU/Linux or are capable of learning it really fast. If you don't understand something from the documentation, then ask about that. In this way you can learn stuff and we* can fix and clarify the documentation where it needs to be.

* by "we" I mean our loyal and depraved minions. wink

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#7 2010-05-14 01:46:15

gowireless

thanks for the help, im not trying to cause any trouble, im just new at this is all, an answer from an actual person is alot more clear than an answer from a document sometimes, no need to make me feel all unwelcome here.

#8 2010-05-14 01:46:30

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

gowireless wrote:

i just dont completely understand the documentation is all, it could be a little more complete i think

Yes - this looks quite difficult to understand:

Beginners' Guide wrote:

DAEMONS Section
This array simply lists the names of those scripts contained in /etc/rc.d/ which are to be started during the boot process, and the order in which they start. Asynchronous initialization by backgrounding is also supported and useful for speeding up boot.
DAEMONS=(network @syslog-ng netfs @crond)

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#9 2010-05-14 01:48:20

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Is this a joke?

I just read all of the threads you have made today. No offence to you, but how did you even get through the installation? Every single question you have asked is clearly explained in the wiki and can also be solved with a quick Google search. In this case, ignorancy is not bliss.

Last edited by cesura (2010-05-14 01:57:36)

#10 2010-05-14 02:00:02

schen

Gowireless - please, use some common sense when reading the documentation.

DAEMONS Section
This array simply lists the names of those scripts contained in /etc/rc.d/ which are to be started during the boot process, and the order in which they start. Asynchronous initialization by backgrounding is also supported and useful for speeding up boot.
DAEMONS=(network @syslog-ng netfs @crond)

I dunno, maybe putting in hal into the DAEMONS array would work?

Also, it's really annoying for you to create a new thread every two hours with a new question that could be solved by following the beginner's guide step by step. If you follow it carefully, your problems will all be solved. Trust me. When I first started using Arch, following the beginner's guide did wonders for my Arch Linux installation.

#11 2010-05-14 02:06:12

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

gowireless wrote:

thanks for the help, im not trying to cause any trouble, im just new at this is all, an answer from an actual person is alot more clear than an answer from a document sometimes, no need to make me feel all unwelcome here.

gowireless, you are welcome here.

As has been pointed out repeatedly, the wiki is your friend in these instances. Please consult it.
If you end up liking Arch and staying with it, I am sure you will come to embrace the excellent documentation that has been provided. Please realize, though that the wiki and all other resources are provided for you by volunteers investing countless hours of contribution.
Again, welcome to Arch, and enjoy.

Board footer