You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-14 18:44:40

andrej.podzimek

Suspend to Disk with swap partition on LVM

Hello, as the title suggests, I'd like to get this working. :-) I have been using TuxOnIce (ToI) for ages and it worked just fine. However, I partitioned the whole disk of my new laptop using LVM and so neither ToI nor the original implementation of hibernation are usable now.

Some people say that it's not a problem to suspend/resume to/from a LVM partition: http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermai … 00447.html Well, I could not find an entry for something like this on ArchWiki. (Perhaps I just didn't guess the right keywords...)

ToI can optionally let the initcpio stuff run before resuming. I thought that's exactly what I need... It would assemble the LVM group, so that a resume from the swap partition could be performed. Unfortunately, it does not work. It just boots without attempting to resume. (Needless to say that this could theoretically lead to data loss.)

Perhaps a 'suspend' hook for mkinitcpio would be the best solution. It would have to occur after all dm/md/luks devices are up, but before the root filesystem is mounted. It would have a look at the swap volume and initiate a resume when appropriate.

AFAIK, ToI already implements all this, but for some reason or other, this functionality is not compatible with Arch Linux.

Any suggestions?

Board footer