You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-16 03:49:17

jmak

Booting problems, freezes

Hello,

I have annoying boot up problems. I get random freezes with messages  like "Setting consoles to UTF-8 mode busy".

Other times the gdm doesn't accept password input. When trying to type my password nothing gets typed.

I have to use the reboot button to reboot. Then if Im lucky at the next reboot, I can input my password if I don't get the "Setting consoles to UTF-8 mode busy" freeze again. Sometimes, I have to reboot 3 or 4 times to manage to log in.

I'm using the latest kernel on a 64 bit system.
Gnome version 2.30

Any idea what might cause this random freezes and gdm problem? And how to solve it?

jmak

#2 2010-05-16 10:57:14

Surgat_

Re: Booting problems, freezes

I don't know about the random freezes, but the gdm problem seems to me that you have backgrounded the hal daemon on rc.conf (prefixed it with an @), and there is race condition when gdm starts: if hal has already loaded, you will have mouse and keybord, otherwise you won't. If it is backgrounded, just remove the @

#3 2010-05-16 13:28:57

jmak

Surgat_ wrote:

I don't know about the random freezes, but the gdm problem seems to me that you have backgrounded the hal daemon on rc.conf (prefixed it with an @), and there is race condition when gdm starts: if hal has already loaded, you will have mouse and keybord, otherwise you won't. If it is backgrounded, just remove the @

This is how the deamon section looks like. Do you see any problem with it?

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network netfs crond !snd_pcsp hal networkmanager fam gdm alsa sensors)

#4 2010-05-16 14:57:27

davidm

Any unusual error messages within the logs in /var/log/* which might give clues as to what is happening?

#5 2010-05-16 15:28:51

jmak

davidm wrote:

Any unusual error messages within the logs in /var/log/* which might give clues as to what is happening?

In /var/log/gdm I found this log file. I don't know it has anything to do with the problem of gdm not accepting password.
Here it is:

gnome-session[1774]: WARNING: Could not launch application 'at-spi-registryd-wrapper.desktop': Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "/usr/lib/gdm/at-spi-registryd" (No such file or directory)

(gnome-settings-daemon:1797): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(gnome-settings-daemon:1797): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(gnome-settings-daemon:1797): atk-bridge-WARNING **: Could not locate registry
gnome-session[1774]: atk-bridge-WARNING: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.
gnome-session[1774]: atk-bridge-WARNING: IOR not set.
gnome-session[1774]: atk-bridge-WARNING: Could not locate registry

(metacity:1800): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(metacity:1800): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(metacity:1800): atk-bridge-WARNING **: Could not locate registry
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /var/lib/gdm/.config/metacity/sessions/1062440f4911818fa8127398090264701400000017740006.ms: Failed to open file '/var/lib/gdm/.config/metacity/sessions/1062440f4911818fa8127398090264701400000017740006.ms': No such file or directory
** (process:1803): DEBUG: Greeter session pid=1803 display=:0.0 xauthority=/var/run/gdm/auth-for-gdm-XjkKzC/database
gdm-simple-greeter[1803]: atk-bridge-WARNING: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.
gdm-simple-greeter[1803]: atk-bridge-WARNING: IOR not set.
gdm-simple-greeter[1803]: atk-bridge-WARNING: Could not locate registry

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1802): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1802): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1802): atk-bridge-WARNING **: Could not locate registry

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1802): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1802): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed

(gnome-power-manager:1804): atk-bridge-WARNING **: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.

(gnome-power-manager:1804): atk-bridge-WARNING **: IOR not set.

(gnome-power-manager:1804): atk-bridge-WARNING **: Could not locate registry
gdm-simple-greeter[1803]: Gtk-WARNING: gtkwidget.c:5628: widget not within a GtkWindow
gdm-simple-greeter[1803]: WARNING: Unable to read from file /etc/arch-release
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x140002b (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x140002b (Login Wind)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: CurrentTime used to choose focus window; focus window may not be correct.
Window manager warning: Got a request to focus the no_focus_window with a timestamp of 0.  This shouldn't happen!

(gnome-power-manager:1804): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1802): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Error enumerating temporary authorizations: Remote Exception invoking org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.EnumerateTemporaryAuthorizations() on /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Cannot determine session the caller is in

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1802): polkit-gnome-1-WARNING **: Error enumerating temporary authorizations: Remote Exception invoking org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.EnumerateTemporaryAuthorizations() on /org/freedesktop/PolicyKit1/Authority at name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1: org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Cannot determine session the caller is in

#6 2010-05-17 14:23:09

Surgat_

jmak wrote:
Surgat_ wrote:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network netfs crond !snd_pcsp hal networkmanager fam gdm alsa sensors)

It's pretty sane, and it isn't the cause of your issue. I'd only suggest to remove fam and install gamin: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamin

Edit: snd_pcsp is a module, so you should backlist it in the MODULES array. Again, this is not the cause of your issue

Last edited by Surgat_ (2010-05-17 14:24:20)

#7 2010-05-18 11:29:53

jmak

Surgat_ wrote:
jmak wrote:
Surgat_ wrote:

It's pretty sane, and it isn't the cause of your issue. I'd only suggest to remove fam and install gamin: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gamin

Edit: snd_pcsp is a module, so you should backlist it in the MODULES array. Again, this is not the cause of your issue

Thanks. I installed gamin but this didn't seem to solve the problem. I still get the random freezes and also the gdm input problem. The last time, I had to reboot 4 times when finally I could log in. From the 4 I had 3 ."Setting consoles to UTF-8 mode busy" freeze and 1 gdm input problem.

#8 2010-05-18 16:33:06

w1ntermute

I'm having this problem too. If you're still having problems, try the fallback kernel, it's the previous "main" kernel and should work. I tried it and it worked.

#9 2010-05-20 10:33:01

AOHL

Yip I agree for starters any puzzling issues, use the fall back kernel but at the same time people who know enough should try and analyse the current situation so we can get a fix

#10 2010-05-30 11:00:51

jiehong
Website

I'm experiencing the same problem but not that often as you do… and I don't use gdm so…

But each time the "magic keys"(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key) still work to reboot properly. Which means the kernel is still working well.

I haven't found anything in my logs…

Last edited by jiehong (2010-05-30 12:03:33)

#11 2010-06-11 18:08:37

mutantgene

I'm experiencing the same problem, with the booting process freezing at the "Setting consoles to UTF-8 mode" step. I've just installed Arch on a new eeepc. Booting works successfully only 20% of the time. One solution that people have suggested was rolling back to an older kernel version, but I wanted to find the cause of the problem first. This step takes place in /etc/rc.sysinit:

stat_busy "Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode"
# UTF-8 consoles are default since 2.6.24 kernel
# this code is needed not only for older kernels,
# but also when user has set vt.default_utf8=0 but LOCALE is *.UTF-8.
for i in /dev/tty[0-9]*; do
       /usr/bin/kbd_mode -u < ${i}
       printf "\033%%G" > ${i}
done

I've put in a few tracing statements, and it turns out that the freeze happens at the same place every time: when setting keyboard mode for console /dev/tty44. Why this console is special and why changing its mode hangs the sysinit script I do not know. When I've put in a "continue" statement for tty44, the freeze would happen at tty46 instead, then tty47, etc. However, since all consoles are in UTF-8 mode already anyway, setting the mode is redundant. I've commented out the two lines inside the loop, and booting works fine now.

#12 2010-07-01 20:31:24

jiehong
Website

Solved as the new kernel fixed it…

Board footer