You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-17 03:12:23

pottzie

no scroll wheel

I'm just getting started on my first arch install. Mostly, everything works well considering I'm the one telling the computer what to do. But one thing that I haven't found out is what do I need to do to get the mouse to scroll with the middle wheel?
Google and the wikis seem to have a lot about getting mice with several buttons to work. I'm using a generic usb three button mouse. In fact, when I turned it over to see what brand it is, it just says "Optical Mouse"! All I seem to remember from the beginner's guide was getting X to work with the mouse and keyboard, which both work, just the scroll wheel is dead. And I think it works if I need to copy something, just doesn't scroll.

#2 2010-05-17 04:20:14

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: no scroll wheel

Every 'three button' mouse that I've tried under Linux for years hasn't needed any configuration to get the scroll wheel to work. Are you using a xorg.conf file?

#3 2010-05-17 21:22:36

pottzie

Just went with the instructions (I assume!..You know how that goes...) from the beginner's guide. X worked, I haven't had any other problems with either the mouse or keyboard.

#4 2010-05-17 21:33:10

davidm

I've only had a problem before with a jogdial on a laptop when using a different distribution.  I believe hal usually takes care of this (at least until server 1.8.x anyway ?) although perhaps there is a way to tweak the policies or the like.  Do you have a xorg.conf and if so what's within it currently?  I vaguely think I might have had an issue when first installing arch where I needed to add something to my xorg.conf, however I'm currently running arch without any xorg.conf whatsoever and the scroll wheel works great so that issue must have been fixed for my hardware.

Board footer