You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-17 03:17:07

skottish
Forum Fellow

vimprobable(1 & 2) and focus issues [SOLVED]

*** This thread is not about browser recommendations. It's about vimprobable. ***

I started to see problems with vimprobable2 (reproducible with 1) at the same time as the libwebit 1.1.92 upgrade. Anytime a text area or text box loses focus while in INSERT mode, vimprobable2 would switch modes without updating the information on the screen, and the only way to get it back into INSERT mode is to escape out then go to PASS THROUGH mode. This causes other problems because C-z is an editing command of webkit... This was not the behavior before and it makes it quite difficult to work with this browser. I was in contact with the lead developer, Hannes Schüller, about this, but he wasn't at this version of libwebkit yet and was unable to reproduce this issue.

I've had occasions in the past where I made a change somewhere else that had unintended consequences, specifically in xmonad, but I can reproduce the problem in DWM, so that's rules that out. So, I started this thread to see if I can get someone to confirm this issue for me.

I'd like to get this fixed because, outside of a few minor problems, this browser was a perfect fit for me. I'm at the point now where it needs to be fixed or I have to start the long and drawn out process of getting a browser set up just right again.

The test is simple:

Reply to this thread
Start typing something in the 'Message' box
Go anywhere outside of the message box, highlight some text, and copy
Come back to the message box and paste the text in
Start typing stuff in and see if the keys that are reserved in COMMAND mode act as commands or simply type characters.

Another way to do this is to simply switch windows and back while in INSERT mode.

*** This thread is not about browser recommendations. It's about vimprobable. ***

#2 2010-05-17 07:34:43

Ogion

Re: vimprobable(1 & 2) and focus issues [SOLVED]

Indeed, same happens here.
I went to archlinux.org, pressed f then 8 (for the package search box) type some stuff, switched window focus, came back to vimiporbable, typed d (visually it gave the impression i was still in insert mode) and it closed.

Name           : vimprobable2-git
Version        : 20100425-1
Name           : libwebkit
Version        : 1.2.1-1

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

#3 2010-05-17 18:07:41

skottish
Forum Fellow

Ogion wrote:

Indeed, same happens here.
I went to archlinux.org, pressed f then 8 (for the package search box) type some stuff, switched window focus, came back to vimiporbable, typed d (visually it gave the impression i was still in insert mode) and it closed.

Name           : vimprobable2-git
Version        : 20100425-1
Name           : libwebkit
Version        : 1.2.1-1

Ogion

Thanks for the confirmation. I was really hoping that it was my fault in some way or another, but this is helpful.

If anyone has any ideas on possible solutions, I'd be glad to hear them. I've gone through quite a bit of the source code and will start piece by piece comparing the change log of 1.1.5 and 1.2.x.

#4 2010-07-04 00:40:27

skottish
Forum Fellow

Hannes Schüller, vimprobable dev, has rolled out a test patch to solve this problem. From all of my early testing, it looks like it's working:

http://vimprobable.org/pipermail/vimpro … 00083.html

*** I'm very happy about this. Thank you Hannes ***

Marking as [SOLVED] pending any issues.

Board footer