You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-18 09:09:42

schneida
Website

Gnome blocks keyboard

Hi

I have a HUGE problem: Gnome  blocks my keyboard. I can login with GDM (keyboard works) but as soon as gnome starts up the keyboard doesn't work anymore. I can't even change to another tty with CTRL+ALT+F1 F2 or any other tty. I managed to start a minimal xserver with openbox using a tty before i log in with gnome and everything works perfectly there, so it's definetively a gnome problem and probably not HAL related.

PLEASE help me to solve this problem as soon as possible because I'm kind of overstrained with that. Tell me what you need to know about my setup or log files and I'll provide them to you.

I didn't change any configurations in the last few days and the problem started after using GIMP, Firefox and Geany. After changing from one TTY to another one I was only able to move the mouse but couldn't even click anywhere on the desktop. The keyboard didn't work either. I did a hard reboot and everything seemed to work again except the keyboard. I tried it a few times but that didn't help. My system is up-to-date.

Thank you very much in advance.

schneida

#2 2010-05-18 09:42:07

fabertawe

Re: Gnome blocks keyboard

I've had the same problem for a few days now. No keyboard, no right click context menu on the desktop and no gnome menu when clicked on. The panel loads as it should and the desktop looks as it should. Drawers do work however. Nautilus (desktop) is running.

I can log out and back in again from cairo-dock and then everything's working as it should. This is with stock kernel and ck.

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#3 2010-05-18 09:47:20

schneida
Website

You mean you have to log in and off to make it work? I'll try that.

EDIT: Ok my problem is a bit different from what you describe. The context menu works (gnome-panel as well) and logging in and off does not help, but the keyboard works again when you log off so when gnome is closed everything works again until you start it again.

Last edited by schneida (2010-05-18 09:49:59)

#4 2010-05-18 10:36:10

fabertawe

Yes, logging back in fixes everything but it's a pain having to do this on every boot. As we have the keyboard blocking in common then it could be related so I'll monitor this thread for a while before starting my own.

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#5 2010-05-18 11:20:21

schneida
Website

Ok, this problem is really weird. Openbox is working fine when I start it on a tty with

xinit /usr/bin/xterm -- :1

and then openbox &. Still when I start it with GDM (in the dropdown select openbox) it has the same issue that gnome-session has. So I tried slim and xdm and they don't work either. The keyboard works to login but as soon as the load either openbox or gnome-session the keyboard doesn't work anymore. Therefor I tried to load gnome-session directly from the xterm I started but then the keyboard in gnome doesn't work either again.

After a reboot a get a error message from firefox. Sorry that it's mostly german:
"Der Konfigurationsserver konnte nicht kontaktiert werden; mögliche Fehlerquellen sind, dass TCP/IP für ORBit nicht aktiviert ist oder auf Grund eines Systemabsturzes alte NFS-Sperren gesetzt sind. Unter http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ erhalten Sie weitere Informationen (Details –  1: Verbindung zur Sitzung konnte nicht abgerufen werden: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-2WWHpd9zZO: Verbindungsaufbau abgelehnt)"
Translation:
"The configuration server could not be contacted; possible error sources is that the TCP/IP for ORBit is not activated or is locked because of a crash on an old NFS-lock. Find more information under http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/. (Details - 1: Connection to the session could not be loaded: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-2WWHpd9zZO: Connection rejected)"

EDIT: Ok, that new error also shows up when I try to start nautilus in my openbox session and nautilus doesn't start anymore. I guess my system is screwd... ARGH!!

EDIT 2: Ok I created a new user and now it works. Seems that some configuration is broken for my original user. Would be very interesting whats actually not working. I copied most of the configuration folders (like .local .gnome2 .config) into my new account but after I copied .gconfd and .gconf the keyboard stopped working again. Resetting those to folder made everything work again. The problem is somehow solved for me, still I would be very interested what caused the problem and how to avoid that. I installed exactly the same setup on a friends machine and I would like to save him from such a day. Should I open a bug for the problem and providing those two folders?

Last edited by schneida (2010-05-18 19:00:03)

#6 2010-06-18 03:12:58

Erf

something similar happened to me.
I restart
enter to gnome and my keyboard was dead.

after try lots of stuff

i fixed it,doing this XD
system> preferences> keyboard> accesibility

and slow keys was activated ... ie only work when you press a key a while (3 or 4 secs)

XD
i don't have any clue how i turn that on... XD

PD: excuse my bad english

Last edited by Erf (2010-06-18 03:18:10)

Board footer