You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-03 22:45:07

dinkydarko
Website

The application ''nautilus'' has quit unexpectedly.

When i start gnome i get this message:

The application ''nautilus'' has quit unexpectedly. You can inform the dvelopers of what happened to help them fix it. Or you can restart the application right now

restarting doesnt help.
This stops all the menus other than actions from working. I've had it working before on my system but recently reinstalled everything so maybe i've just forgotten soemthing obvious?  (I am rather new too all this).

I really like arch and pacman so i'd like to get this working. All the other desktops are ok but i like my gnome so and ideas would be great, i post up any files if they would help.

thanks in advance,
david

#2 2005-02-04 01:57:23

xian

Re: The application ''nautilus'' has quit unexpectedly.

Well, just as a check to verify if it is a global or installation issue I would create a new user, log into a gnome-session and see if you can duplicate that error message. This would at least narrow down where to look for the root cause.

#3 2005-02-05 13:08:12

fragilek

Running nautilus from a terminal gives the output

(nautilus:4696): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module `/opt/gnome/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libfile.so' (libfam.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

This suggest a lack of gnome-vfs or fam. For me it was fam

pacman -S fam

Now nautilus runs as expected..

PGP Key: 0xAA86325D
Email: fragile_k@myrealbox.com
Jabber: fragilek@jabber.org

#4 2005-02-05 13:22:48

dinkydarko
Website

thanks for the replys, i got bored of not having a desktop tho and tried to see if gnome 2.9 made any difference. It sort of did, happens less rarly now  but it still happens so i'll try the fam thing. And i happens with all users.

#5 2005-02-05 23:38:07

JGC
Developer

Hmm, other distros having fam as optional dependency for gnome-vfs, on arch it crashes when not installed.

fam will be a dependency for the next version of gnome-vfs, unless I find out how to make it optional.

#6 2005-02-06 12:42:25

dinkydarko
Website

Both fam and gnome-vfs are up to date. Getting plenty of errors regarding applet's and desklets as well, think thats linked to it?

Board footer