You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-19 01:35:15

naphtali

Vote for the change of the name BFS scheduler

I do not know if this is the right forum to post this, so forgive me if it isn't. I like the merits of this new scheduler, but I am absolutely abhor by it's naming. It's rude, disrespectful, and simply unprofessional to have such a name for such a piece of software technology. I do not see the likes of any naming scheme in any other areas of computing. Now this is my opinion, and I guess I am just trying to see what the general opinion or consensus is out there regarding this name.
Why could not the developer called it something like, BSS (Brain Smart Scheduler), or IDS (Intelligent Desktop Scheduler), or NPS (New Paradigm Scheduler), KWS (Kolivas-Works Scheduler), or HPKS (High Performance Kolivas Scheduler), or something more respectable. I know that with this existing name, it keeps it on the lips, tongues and minds (consciously/unconsciously) of everyone. But does not what it has done already enough to bring it to the forefront. I imagine that this great piece of software and what it has done, should stand on merit alone, and not on a controversial name. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words, I believe a name can to. Fact is, the name betrays him as a professional. It does not cast him in a good light. Maybe he does not care, but this is not part of some inconsequential, ten-minute game. It is in fact part of an important, cutting edge O.S called Linux. And he should care about naming it more appropriately.

It is said that if we see a wrong, then it is for us to know that we have the power to effect a change, make it right and good, and in the end make a positive difference. That is what I, and I hope others will attempt to do.

No disrespect to Con Kolivas, I would love to see this new scheduler become a core part of the kernel, just not with this ridiculous name.  A Good Name will always be Regarded, a Bad One should always be Discarded. These are just my views, what do you think. Vote Yes/No for a name change.

#2 2010-05-19 02:06:19

sand_man

Re: Vote for the change of the name BFS scheduler

Take it up with Con. It has nothing to do with Arch.
As far as "unprofessional", why should Con care? He is providing a FREE alternative kernel scheduler. He can call it whatever he wants. If you don't like it, don't use it.

neutral

#3 2010-05-19 02:12:18

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Vote for the change of the name BFS scheduler

sand_man wrote:

Take it up with Con. It has nothing to do with Arch.
As far as "unprofessional", why should Con care? He is providing a FREE alternative kernel scheduler. He can call it whatever he wants. If you don't like it, don't use it.

No doubt. And with no disrespect intented to you naphtali, this thread is not going to go very well.

Board footer