You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-19 18:34:50

Ree

A few questions

Hello,

I've just installed Arch + KDE on a VM to check it out and it seems to be working fine, except a few things. I have a few problems/questions/comments:

1. Before installing GRUB, i was presented with the following options:

/dev/sda
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1
/dev/sdaN

I picked the first one and it worked fine, but certainly there shouldn't be two identical /dev/sda options.
2. Some KDE problems. Upon first login, I got an error message about akonadi failing some tests (i think it was mentioned that akonadi was not registered with dbus). It seems to work now but when in open akonadi console under agents tab i see a problematic entry akonadi_kabc_resource_0 with a message "No KDE address book plugin configured yet". Another thing is that "Default address book" is migrated each time I login. Doesn't seem like it should be happening. Are these known issues?  Are these problems related? There are no issues like that on my Debian unstable installation which is running a clean install of KDE 4.4.3 as well.
3. How do I get hald addons (hald-addon-cpufreq, for example)?
4. Is there a reference listing of all the modules I can use in the MODULES option in /etc/rc.conf? For example, the wiki explains how to blacklist some alsa related modules. Where did the authors get the names? How do I know what is available? Is it documented anywhere?

#2 2010-05-19 20:02:16

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: A few questions

lsmod will show you the modules you currently have loaded and their dependencies, modprobe is the command for loading/unloading them

I'm not sure about where it's documented, but when I switched to manual module loading I had to look up a few of them to see what they were, so I'm sure you can find resources about it online

Last edited by thestinger (2010-05-19 20:03:13)

#3 2010-05-20 01:31:27

Ekimino
Website

Best bet is to search for the modules and what they are for on the web, you could use a find command to find them, but that just will give you names, not the use of them. (I remember the find command, it was a command posted on the Gentoo Handbook to make a list of modules, if you're kin on this, read the handbook kernel compiling part).

I'm not a KDE user, but while using Arch you have to know that it doesn't actually always get things working together, those errors are probably just a few commands away, search for them, and look at the troubleshoot section at the KDE page of the wiki, if you followed the wiki to install KDE, It's most likely those errors are there)

hald-addon-cpufreq is maybe just a name, i know you can install cpufrequtils using pacman, don't know if these are the same though.

#4 2010-05-20 06:25:18

Ree

Ekimino wrote:

I'm not a KDE user, but while using Arch you have to know that it doesn't actually always get things working together, those errors are probably just a few commands away, search for them, and look at the troubleshoot section at the KDE page of the wiki, if you followed the wiki to install KDE, It's most likely those errors are there)

Those aren't mentioned anywhere. I see there are others with similar problems, for example, here.

Ekimino wrote:

hald-addon-cpufreq is maybe just a name, i know you can install cpufrequtils using pacman, don't know if these are the same though.

They aren't. hald-addon-cpufreq is an executable in /usr/lib/hal and KDE uses it. I have no idea why it's not started together with hald.

Last edited by Ree (2010-05-20 06:28:44)

Board footer