You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-19 21:03:57

Digit

trimming the tasks

background:
i have recently constructed pretty much the same system i had on debian, in arch.  i did so by following willxtreme's example until it started adding things i knew i didnt need, meaning i added stuff i didnt know how vital they were n if i needed them or not for my minimal scrotwm & tilda system.

so i jump into htop to compare it to the debian system with the same apps.

looks good, sits happy on about 40mb ram just the same (and less!).   ...except... 

instead of something around the 35 tasks i was expecting, there are over 100, and the processor seems to be doing more, and the average load is way higher too.

i'm thinking if i can trim out loads of these superfluous tasks, not only will the processor and average loads settle down, i might manage to get it using even less ram than the debian version.

so...

looking through the tasks,

i see that 65 of them are "/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon --no-daemon"

???  any need for that?
if so, what?

and regardless of the need, i'd still like to know how i can gut that unsightlyness from my operating system.  and not just to kill those processes, but some method to ensure they dont even start.  is that possible/viable?

it's not the only thing there are multiple instances of showing up.

i've seen this many times but i dont think i've ever investigated why this occurs, multiple instances of the same thing with seperate pids

and besides those issues, are there any other ways to neaten and tighten up my task list?

muuuuch thnx in advance for addressing all these questions/issues. smile

fave quote of the mo': "Man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for." - Robert Browning

#2 2010-05-19 22:11:25

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: trimming the tasks

Digit wrote:

i see that 65 of them are "/usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon --no-daemon"

In htop hit F2 (setup), under Display options turn on Display threads in different color. See http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=57491 for more details.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-05-19 22:54:30

peets
Website

Re: trimming the tasks

pacman -Qi consolekit

take a look at the 'Required by:' line; it'll give you an idea of what needs/spawns console-kit.

Board footer