You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-20 12:41:06

valvet

xmonad and pidgin conversation windows

Hi

Not sure if this is a Pidgin related problem, but I'm trying to get urgencyhook to work with new conversation windows in Pidgin - it doesn't trigger an urgent before I focus the conversation window and send a new message (from another workspace.. text based MSN client).

So basicly this is what's happening..

201005201434531280x800s.th.png

I write "Open new window please.." and a new conversation window is opened on workspace "im" - if I go to the "im" workspace and focus the conversation window, then go back to workspace 3 "code", and type another message.. I receive the urgent notification.

201005201440221280x800s.th.png

Anyone had this problem? I would love it to notify when opening a new conversation window. Using the "Message Notification" plugin for Pidgin.

#2 2010-05-20 13:14:39

valvet

Re: xmonad and pidgin conversation windows

This might be a bug in pidgin-libnotify .. I tried the patched version from AUR, it does the same.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/351545

#3 2010-05-20 14:23:19

myrkiada

Hi valvet!

Hmm, I seem to have the same problem, just followed what you said and the same thing happens. It works just fine exept for new conversations. I haven't really noticed before, cause I only talk to a few people, and their chat windows are always open as long as my computer is on.

I'll check out the patched pidgin-libnotify, altough I'm not sure that's the problem, cause when I just ran pacman -Qs pidgin-libnotify to check what version I had, I realized I do not even have it installed.

My Configs @ Github

#4 2010-05-20 14:32:11

valvet

myrkiada wrote:

Hi valvet!

Hmm, I seem to have the same problem, just followed what you said and the same thing happens. It works just fine exept for new conversations. I haven't really noticed before, cause I only talk to a few people, and their chat windows are always open as long as my computer is on.

I'll check out the patched pidgin-libnotify, altough I'm not sure that's the problem, cause when I just ran pacman -Qs pidgin-libnotify to check what version I had, I realized I do not even have it installed.

Hey

Oh, hmm.. well that's strange then. I thought pidgin-libnotify handles the notification stuff - and the plugin "Message Notification" used that. I tried compiling another plugin, command-notification-0.1 and did a echo "\a" whenever there was some messaging - same deal, no notification on initial message window.

Thanks for helping debug :-) and your xmonad base! Love it.

#5 2010-05-20 14:38:45

myrkiada

I think it's all included in purple-plugin-pack from extra now, atleast that's the only thing I have installed, and I do have "Message Notification" in my plugin list. Notifications normally works fine, exept for new conversations.

On a sidenote there is something else that started to happen I few weeks ago.. whenever a contact changes status from online to busy I get notified. Which can be really annoying because I have some friends who are mmorpg addicts and have setup WLM to change status whenever a window goes fullscreen. hmm

Edit: That last bit only happens if I have a conversation windows open with that person, so it's not that bad, but still really annoying at times.

Last edited by myrkiada (2010-05-20 14:41:53)

My Configs @ Github

#6 2010-05-20 14:43:30

valvet

myrkiada wrote:

I think it's all included in purple-plugin-pack from extra now, atleast that's the only thing I have installed, and I do have "Message Notification" in my plugin list. Notifications normally works fine, exept for new conversations.

On a sidenote there is something else that started to happen I few weeks ago.. whenever a contact changes status from online to busy I get notified. Which can be really annoying because I have some friends who are mmorpg addicts and have setup WLM to change status whenever a window goes fullscreen. hmm

Hehe, yes! I noticed that too earlier.. diden't think much of it, because I saw "xxx is writing a message" so I thought that triggered it (which would be anoying too). Well, something's definitely up with the notification in Pidgin or libnotify. I'll go ahead and uninstall pidgin-libnotify again. But it only happens sometimes. Hrmf.

Last edited by valvet (2010-05-20 14:48:51)

#7 2010-05-20 14:53:51

myrkiada

Well, now I'm not so sure if "Message Notification" is included in the purple-plugin-pack, atleast it's not listed. Anyway, I'll get back to you if I can figure something out.

My Configs @ Github

#8 2010-05-20 15:03:19

valvet

I just did a: michael@princess ~> strings /usr/lib/pidgin/notify.so (only way I know how to show exports and stuff)

I does indeed have a function/export/trigger whatever you call it, on creation of chat windows: conversation-created - this is the Message Notification plugin I think (/usr/lib/pidgin/notify.so).. so it should work. I actually just got an URGENT now, after having closed the window (starting pidgin with -d for debugging) and sending a new message, but now I don't again.. ahh.

EDIT: The Message Notification module is installed along with Pidgin, I Just tried uninstalling and don't have the plugin-pack installed.

Last edited by valvet (2010-05-20 15:06:59)

#9 2010-05-20 15:50:56

valvet

Incredibly fast.. this post is already on Google hehe.

Ok, so.. I edited the notify plugin (Message Notification), in src/src/pidgin-2.7.0/pidgin/plugins/ to print a debug message whenever a conersation window was opened, and it does:

(17:47:30) gtkspell: Failed to setup GtkSpell: enchant error for language: en_US.UTF-8
(17:47:30) gtkconv: setting active conversation on toolbar 0x983b110
(17:47:30) gtkconv: setting active conversation on toolbar 0x983b110
(17:47:30) prefs: /pidgin/conversations/toolbar/wide changed, scheduling save.
(17:47:31) notify: ***** CONVERSATION CREATED *****
(17:47:31) prefs: /pidgin/conversations/im/y changed, scheduling save.
static void
conv_created(PurpleConversation *conv)
{
    purple_conversation_set_data(conv, "notify-message-count",
                               GINT_TO_POINTER(0));

purple_debug_misc("notify", "***** CONVERSATION CREATED *****\n");

/* always attach the signals, notify() will take care of conversation
     * type checking */
    attach_signals(conv);
}

Uhm, so.. it should notify, and it's being triggered. The problem must lie somewhere else.

#10 2010-05-21 12:26:44

Knute

In the Message Notification plugin,  there is a check box to set the Urgent hint notification.

Without the urgent hint being set, your urgent notification will not be shown.

Knute

#11 2010-05-23 10:13:03

valvet

Knute wrote:

In the Message Notification plugin,  there is a check box to set the Urgent hint notification.

Without the urgent hint being set, your urgent notification will not be shown.

I tried setting all of them, and also individually.. notification works fine, if the convo window is opened - the problem is that, the notification does not happen if no convo window is open. Are you not experiencing this like we are? Perhaps it's an xmonad problem then.

#12 2010-05-23 14:58:57

Knute

I am using xmonad, and my notifications come up for new conversations as well.

Knute

#13 2010-05-23 16:16:22

valvet

Knute wrote:

I am using xmonad, and my notifications come up for new conversations as well.

Strange - here's a screenshot of my settings: http://omploader.org/vNGU0Ng - how does it differ from yours? I notice that when a new conversation window is opening, my active window (a terminal on another workspace) flashes shortly, as if it's being focused instead, this might be the cause as the notification happens on the current workspace instead.

Any way to check if a notification happens on the current workspace, or where it happens?

#14 2010-05-23 16:33:47

Knute

I just have a couple of questions about your settings.

Ok, xmonad is a tiling window manager.  So, why would you need the window to be either raised or presented?

I don't have either of those options checked.

Since the urgency hint is set to notify you to look at it,  wouldn't raising and presenting the window, by definition, take that hint away?  If that's the case, then the hint probably isn't even being sent to the WM as it would immediately set it and then unset it before the message could be sent.  Does that make sense?

Knute

#15 2010-06-21 11:58:58

pong

Did you guys manage to solve the problem? I'm experiencing the same thing and I use the same settings in Pidgin as Knute. My xmonad.hs was originally based on myrkiada's config but now I use pbrisbin's settings.

#16 2010-11-04 13:13:43

valvet

pong wrote:

Did you guys manage to solve the problem? I'm experiencing the same thing and I use the same settings in Pidgin as Knute. My xmonad.hs was originally based on myrkiada's config but now I use pbrisbin's settings.

No, this isn't solved yet - but I switched to Bitlbee instead, and using irssi's notification.

Board footer