You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-20 22:17:21

Tsynique

Repartitioning the root

Hello,

I have ~4GB for my root partition, I knew that wouldnt be enough at starters but I still did it. Now I want at least 6GB or something. Anyways is there a way for me to resize my root partition without having to reinstall Arch again?

My HDD looks like this right now (in the partition order):

3GB NTFS (primary) (windoze sits here)
~4GB ext2 /
~200MB /boot
~800MB /home
~1GB swap
~29GB FAT32

My only option is to take some space from the FAT32 partition and give it to /. But since there is a number of partitions in between them I would like to ask whether there is some reliable software to accomplish this great deed without data loss?

P.S. I have softly linked some heavyweight software (like NetBeans) to be installed into the FAT partition but I'm not sure if it is ok to do this for most other packages too, so I prefer not to.

Last edited by Tsynique (2010-05-20 22:19:47)

#2 2010-05-21 14:56:58

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Repartitioning the root

there's no reason why you couldn't do this.  just boot into some sort of live CD (system rescue cd, etc).  There are alot of different tools to do the actual repartitioning, but if you want a nice and easy graphical interface, GParted is always a good choice to use.

As always, backing up your data is always a good idea before doing something like this, just in case.

Board footer