You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-21 11:52:12

saif

Help with Grub

Hello, I know this may have been speaken of througly, but i didnt find any, or my searching skill are limited.

The fact is, that I have three partitions, one for Windows 7, one for ArchLinux and another one for Mint. I am a Linux NewBie, so I have a bit of everything just to train my self.

The fact is that during ArchLinux installation, I set Grub to run from hd0,1, while the system is booting hd0,0 running automatically the Windows partition. If I insert the ArchLinux cd and set it up manually to boot hd0,1, then grub runs ok and I can chose OS

1.How can I do to change the main booting partition, or to setup grub to hd0,0?
2.How do I get the kernel file of each operating system I have installed (so I can add them to the grub list to bootup)

As I said i am a new comer, so a detailed step by step would be thanfull

Thanks!
Saif

#2 2010-05-21 12:16:31

hokasch

Re: Help with Grub

1. Install grub to MBR (e.g. sda not sdaX). Grub config is done in /boot/grub/menu.lst
2. Check the menu.lst in Mint to see how it gets booted, then adjust the entry for your Arch grub menu.lst. AFAIK Mint uses grub2, so you can't just copy & paste the paragraph.

#3 2010-05-22 00:31:15

saif

Re: Help with Grub

hokasch wrote:

1. Install grub to MBR (e.g. sda not sdaX). Grub config is done in /boot/grub/menu.lst
2. Check the menu.lst in Mint to see how it gets booted, then adjust the entry for your Arch grub menu.lst. AFAIK Mint uses grub2, so you can't just copy & paste the paragraph.

Thank you, i will try it and tell back, if i manage to know how to install it to the mbr

edit: managed to fix it with  Grub disk restore

thanks

Last edited by saif (2010-05-22 01:25:25)

Board footer