You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-22 05:03:44

sHyLoCk

Trying to get proper sound

Hi,
I have very low sound in my laptop with alsa so I wanted to try pulseaudio and oss. In ubuntu sound works great which has pulse by default. I tried setting up pulse in Arch with KDE but it doesn't seem to work. I tried oss and it doesn't work either. When I try to use /etc/rc.d/oss start the system just hangs.

Any suggestions?:(

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#2 2010-05-22 17:20:35

brebs

Re: Trying to get proper sound

sHyLoCk wrote:

In ubuntu sound works great

Take a look at its ALSA package - see its version, and which of its packages might fix your issue.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/

#3 2010-05-23 05:46:00

SiegeMachine

Re: Trying to get proper sound

pulseaudio is tricky, I forget what they are called but I believe its pavucontrol and pavumeter or something like that, just look them up (Pulse Audio Volume...) so pavu<xxx>.  Those helped to set the proper inputs and things. You just have to fight with it a bit.

First, when you install OSS you don't have to remove ALSA (if I remember correctly) Your best bet is to follow the Arch Wiki guides when installing each one, they are what I use when dealing with sound because sometimes it can be a bit of a nightmare.  Secondly, I had some issues where I had to set a dbus error so that pulseaudio would default the correct card as the 1st card so I didn't have to keep changing it and resetting all the settings each time I rebooted.  It depends if you have more than one sound card or not.  Good luck!

Board footer