You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-05 02:06:05

Gullible Jones

Files do not play!

I just ripped a CD of some of Beethoven's symphonies and encoded the music with FLAC.

Gnome's CD player played the CD perfectly, as did Grip.

But Rhythmbox, Totem, XMMS, BMP, and MPlayer all point-blank failed to play the .flac files that I encoded. Yes, I have the plugins, etc... And yes, the various media players did indeed play the files; they just failed to produce any sound at all.

All my channels are unmuted. I have the alsamixer script to restore volumes on startup (yes, I did chmod it so it was executable, and yes, I did add it to /etc/rc.conf, and yes, it ran). I have everything at full volume and am hearing nothing at all.

As far as I can tell, my sound should be fully functional. But GNOME's OSS output test does not make any noise, and the ALSA output test doesn't want to run.

I am using a pair of headphones, and yes, I am very sure they are hooked up properly.

Anyone got a bloody clue what's going on?

Edit: Oh yeah, this is with via82xx onboard audio.

#2 2005-02-05 17:01:48

Gullible Jones

Re: Files do not play!

Hmm... Wait a minute, maybe this is a hotplug problem? This is an unfamiliar box as of right now, so I'm using hotplug... But hotplug detects stuff that definitely isn't there (PCI-express and Wavefront and CS4232 audio). Then again, last time I did lsmod all the right modules seemed to be running... :?

#3 2005-02-05 21:04:29

Gullible Jones

Okay...

Sound does not work with ALSA. (And sound test says "cannot make pipe for alsasink".)

Sound does not work with OSS. (Yep, I'm using alsa-oss as well as snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss.)

Downloading alsa-driver (yes, I did "depmod -a" as required) does not help.

Sound does not work with ESD, not that I'd expect it to. (Yes, I was using gst-plugins-esd, and the whole of GNOME is compiled with ESD support by default.)

This really, really, really sucks.

Is anyone willing to help me out?

#4 2005-02-06 02:09:10

Gullible Jones

Alright, I've got ALSA working it seems, thanks to alsaconfig... But only for CDs, and I can't play movies.

Why?

Because Rhythmbox *CRASHES* when presented with a perfectly good MP3 file. (Yes, every time, not just once.)

Because Totem and GXine refuse to play sound files or make any noise at all, and totem *CRASHES* when asked to play a Quicktime movie. Even if it isn't supposed to be able to play a Quicktime movie, it ought to tell me that it can't instead of trying to play it and crashing! (Yes, every time, not just once.)

Because GXine doesn't even try to play MP3s; instead it just tunes in to BBC Radio 4 again. (I tried to listen to that, and it definitely picked it up, but I got no sound output.)

Because MPlayer and XMMS produce no sound output when told to play the MP3.

Hello, is anybody going to give me any bloody help? Or am I going to have to use a different distro? :evil:

#5 2005-02-06 04:16:51

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Gullible Jones wrote:

Alright, I've got ALSA working it seems, thanks to alsaconfig... But only for CDs, and I can't play movies.

Why?

Because Rhythmbox *CRASHES* when presented with a perfectly good MP3 file. (Yes, every time, not just once.)

Upload the file, submit a bug report to the rhythmbox developers

Maybe Read The FAQ: http://rhythmbox.org/faq.html

Because Totem and GXine refuse to play sound files or make any noise at all, and totem *CRASHES* when asked to play a Quicktime movie. Even if it isn't supposed to be able to play a Quicktime movie, it ought to tell me that it can't instead of trying to play it and crashing! (Yes, every time, not just once.)

Not all quicktime movies are supported. Quicktime is a wrapper, not a format, same as avi. Inside the file could be any sort of movie file, divx, mp4, whatever. Maybe that one isnt supported.

Because GXine doesn't even try to play MP3s; instead it just tunes in to BBC Radio 4 again. (I tried to listen to that, and it definitely picked it up, but I got no sound output.)

Because MPlayer and XMMS produce no sound output when told to play the MP3.

Something tells me you have a big messup in your config somewhere

Hello, is anybody going to give me any bloody help? Or am I going to have to use a different distro? :evil:

No we're gonna sit here and laugh at your post while poking holes in rhythmbox and your other players, in turn making them crash more.

Of course we're gonna help, thats what im trying to do. Try running all of the above programs at the commandline, with a verbose option or debug option if they have it. Read the manpage or command --help to see if they have one. Post the output for us.

iphitus

#6 2005-02-06 05:56:14

Gullible Jones

Sorry. :oops: I'll see what I can do...

#7 2005-02-06 09:43:28

lucke

Just for completeness of your research, I'd install arts and xmms-arts and try to play mp3 via arts. I'm using arts with my via, as it seems to work the best for me whatsoever. I've even recompiled MPlayer with arts support, because that's the only setting where the MPlayer's volume control actually works for me. In your wicked case, maybe it would help as well :-)

Cheers,

lucke

ps. Damn. Is it just me or my peripherals are falling on me? My monitor started blinking at me merilly and my mouse seems strangely attached to one vertical line. :shock:

#8 2005-02-06 15:53:53

Gullible Jones

Eww... Sorry Lucke. No idea what the monitor is doing (I've had about 4 CRTs go bust on me over the years though), but I would try cleaning out the mouse. It's amazing what a little dust can do to those things.

As for my sound...

Lsmod results:

Module                  Size  Used by
ohci_hcd               23560  0
analog                 12704  0
ns558                   6016  0
parport_pc             28996  0
parport                38600  1 parport_pc
pcspkr                  4044  0
rtc                    13128  0
i2c_prosavage           4608  0
i2c_algo_bit           10120  1 i2c_prosavage
i2c_core               23296  1 i2c_algo_bit
via_rhine              22788  0
mii                     5760  1 via_rhine
snd_via82xx            29216  3
snd_ac97_codec         78176  1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm_oss            56612  0
snd_mixer_oss          21120  3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm               101252  3 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              27140  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc         10244  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
gameport                5120  3 analog,ns558,snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart         8704  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            26144  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8972  1 snd_rawmidi
snd                    59108  11 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore              10848  3 snd
via_ircc               26900  0
irda                  144188  1 via_ircc
crc_ccitt               2432  1 irda
ehci_hcd               35332  0
uhci_hcd               34576  0
usbcore               125560  4 ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
tsdev                   8128  0
evdev                   9984  0

Looks okay to me.

=============================================================

Rhythmbox error message on crashing: "Internal gstreamer error: pad problem. File a bug." (This is when playing the .ogg file with the --print-play option. Yes, it somehow is a .ogg file, even though it was encoded with LAME... Maybe Grip is part of the problem.)

=============================================================

On trying to play it with GXine:

2 error message. The first is "Xine engine failed to start. No input plugin found. Maybe the file does not exist, has wrong permissions or URL syntax error."

The second is simply "File not found: [*correct* directory of file]".

Needless to say, GXine fails to play a damn thing.

#9 2005-02-06 17:11:59

Gullible Jones

Okay, just Googled "internal gstreamer error: pad problem". It seems that this is a GStreamer problem, not a hardware problem, and is quite pervasive... Still doesn's explain Xine screwing up though.

(Also, this bug seems to affect Ensonique 1371 cards so I'm screwed either way. GNOME looks to be unusable unless I install Gentoo and compile GNOME without GStreamer support, which I sure as hell am not going to do.)

I really, really do not get this... I can understand a gstreamer bug, but a gstreamer  bug has no right to go and mess up programs that don't use gstreamer. :? Haven't a bloody clue what the problem is really... My best guess is some sort of bizarre bout of really irritating bugs.

#10 2005-02-06 17:18:58

lucke

As I said, check how it works with arts (not that much of installing/playing with, I believe). If it works properly, then blame gstreamer :-)

-edit-

Ah, maybe it needs some more major installing for you, as it depends on qt. Why use Gentoo however, can't you recompile it on Arch? :-)

#11 2005-02-06 17:31:22

Gullible Jones

Tried it...

"Couldn't open audio. Please check that:

Your soundcard is configured properly [yes]
You have the correct output plugin [yes]
No other program is blocking the soundcard [not that I know of]"

Ouch.

#12 2005-02-09 20:19:34

Gullible Jones

Okay, a new version of GStreamer is available in the repo... maybe this will solve my problems. I'll have to check it out.

Edit: BTW, I'm using uDev for those who want to help...

Board footer