You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-23 04:43:59

navaneethkn

nm-applet is not loading when using Slim

I was using Gdm as login manager and networkmanager + nm-applet to manage the network. I just switched to Slim. But after that, nm-applet will not start automatically upon the login. Here is rc.conf looks like,

INTERFACES=(!eth0 !wlan0)

ROUTES=(!gateway)

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network netfs dbus hal slim !gdm networkmanager @alsa @crond)

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by navaneethkn (2010-05-23 04:44:22)

#2 2010-05-23 05:38:05

SiegeMachine

Re: nm-applet is not loading when using Slim

You wanna add your nm-applet to your .xinitrc so that it starts up when you log in with slim.

~/.xinitrc
nm-applet&

#3 2010-05-23 05:45:55

navaneethkn

Thank you for your reply @SiegeMachine. I tried adding to .xinitrc and it is not working.  Any other ideas?

#4 2010-05-23 06:11:40

navaneethkn

Ok. I figured it out. I was running nm-applet& command after exec gnome-session command. I put it before that and it started working. But I still need to say "sudo nm-applet&".

Now nm-applet is starting fine. But it is not remembering the password for the wireless connection. This is the message appearing when I start it.

No keyring secrets found for Auto linux/802-11-wireless-security; asking user

All these were working fine with Gdm. I am not sure about getting this correct with Slim.  I have done the setting changes described in http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLi … me_Keyring page. Here is my /etc/pam.d/slim file looks like.

auth            requisite       pam_nologin.so
auth            required        pam_env.so
auth            required        pam_unix.so
account         required        pam_unix.so
session         required        pam_limits.so
session         required        pam_unix.so
password        required        pam_unix.so
auth            optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so
session         optional        pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start

Any help?

Last edited by navaneethkn (2010-05-23 06:16:21)

#5 2010-05-23 06:23:29

SiegeMachine

Well all that slim does is log you into your user and does startx for you so its not really a slim issue its a conf issue, as for your problem I'm not exactly sure, but unless you are using VPN I would use wicd instead of Network Manager for simplicity, and I know you wont have that issue.

#6 2010-05-23 08:49:37

loafer

Move slim to the very end of the line in your daemons array (it's recommended you start last) and then edit your .xinitrc to include:

exec ck-launch-session gnome-session

And see if that helps.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#7 2010-05-23 09:30:29

navaneethkn

@loafer - I did that, but no luck sad  BTW, what is "ck-launch-session " ? Also after using this, I see a "Shutdown" menu item in the gnome "System" menu.

@SiegeMachine : As suggested, I have installed wicd. It looks quite nice, simple and after all it works perfectly well. Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, can I uninstall the "Networkmanager" using pacman as it is not used?

I am trying to understand why things started bahving differently when I just switched a login manager? As @SiegeMachine said, all "slim" or any login manager does is to handle the login part and call "startx". If that is the case, how the nm-applet was getting strated when I used gdm and why it is not starting with "slim"? Is there a special configuration file which gdm uses to say these programs needs to be launched?

Since I am using "slim", uninstalling gdm will cause any issues?

Thank you very much for the help. Much appreciated.

#8 2010-05-23 09:45:30

loafer

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#9 2010-06-04 05:27:03

SiegeMachine

Yes you definately can use pacman to remove nettwork-manager now that you have wicd.

#10 2010-06-04 05:30:08

SiegeMachine

Does DM have a login manager? As was posted before, slim should be the last daemon to start up else funny things happen. If GDM has its own login manager it might run a different script to call Xorg server and has its own way to start programs.  Slim itself is the same as just logging in to console and then typing startx, thats why its called Simple LogIn Manager. Removing GDM shouldn't make a difference to slim.

Board footer