linus

Macbook Pro, LVM, Grub2

Hi

I am trying to install a dual boot system with os x and arch. here is my setup

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1          26      204819+  ee  GPT
/dev/sda2   *          26       35283   283203128   af  HFS / HFS+
/dev/sda3           35283       38914    29162496   8e  Linux LVM

sda3 is lvm with boot on LVM. and this is the big problem.
I try to use lvm with boot on it and later I will replace refit and use grub2 with efi support to boot osx and arch.

I could install grub2 and solved the lvm bug (http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18734).

Now when I am trying to install grub I get the following error

grub-install /dev/mapper/vg0-boot --no-floppy
/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a partitionless disk.  This is a BAD idea..
/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required when the root device is on a RAID array or LVM volume.

vg0-boot:

Model: Linux device-mapper (linear) (dm)
Disk /dev/mapper/vg0-boot: 159MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: loop

Number  Start  End    Size   File system  Flags
 1      0.00B  159MB  159MB  ext2

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
linus

#2 2010-05-23 12:43:19

skodabenz
Banned

Re: Macbook Pro, LVM, Grub2

Go to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Skodabenz/GPT . You need to have a BIOS Boot Partition for embedding of core.img of GRUB2 in a GPT disk. Use GPT fdisk (aka gdisk) tool to create one.

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#3 2010-05-23 22:19:27

linus

Thanks for the hint. I will test that tomorrow. I've also tried to install grub2 with efi support.

Last edited by linus (2010-05-24 14:29:47)

#4 2010-05-24 10:11:42

linus

Ok. I've tried to install grub with a bios grub partition but it didn't work.

These are my partitions:

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                  Flags
 1      20.5kB  210MB  210MB   fat32        EFI System Partition  boot
 2      210MB   289GB  289GB   hfs+         Untitled
 4      289GB   289GB  8035kB                                     bios_grub
 3      290GB   320GB  29.9GB               Arch                  lvm

I get the same error when I try to install grub. Where can I find a detailed error report?

#5 2010-05-24 11:20:03

skodabenz
Banned

For compiling grub2 for efi, go to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI and go to external links section. If you use grub-legacy, then bios boot partition will not help.

Last edited by skodabenz (2010-05-24 12:26:56)

#6 2010-05-24 15:21:27

linus

skodabenz wrote:

For compiling grub2 for efi, go to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI and go to external links section. If you use grub-legacy, then bios boot partition will not help.

Thanks. I used the gentoo wiki to create my grub.efi (http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Apple_Macbook_Pro#GRUB_2)

I've copied the grub.efi on my efi partition and can select grub.efi from refit. When I boot from it I get the grub rescue console. I'm quite sure my grub.cfg is wrong.

set timeout=20
set default=0

menuentry "MacOSX" {
  # Search the root device for Mac OS X's loader.
  search --set /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
  # Load the loader.
  chainloader /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
}

menuentry "Linux on LVM" {
        insmod lvm
        root=(vg0-boot)
        linux /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/mapper/vg0-root video=efifb agp=off
        initrd /initrd.img
}

I can't see any grub files when I boot from OS X....

Last edited by linus (2010-05-24 16:18:06)

#7 2010-05-24 16:22:06

skodabenz
Banned

I updated the archlinux UEFI wiki page to give the correct format of grub-mkimage command. The Gentoo wiki is correct for old grub-mkimage. The GRUB2 bzr revision 2372 (which is actually very recent - 17 May 2010) changed the grub-mkimage command slightly. Now you need the output type of the image as well as compulsorily mention the correct prefix folder parameter to grub-mkimage to prevent rescue console from appearing for GRUB2. The Gentoo page's command will not work for the new grub-mkimage tool. The updated shell script http://gist.github.com/gists/410877/download will help you compile, install and create the proper grub.efi file.

Even after this if you still boot to a rescue shell, include "normal chain linux search search_fs_file search_fs_uuid search_label ls help boot sh echo configfile" modules while building grub.efi file using grub-mkimage.

In your case the command should be (these are the modules I would include)

./grub-mkimage -d . -o <EFI SYSTEM PARTITION>/EFI/<YOUR_GRUB2_FOLDER>/grub.efi -O TARGET_EFI_ARCH-efi -p /efi/<YOUR_GRUB2_FOLDER> normal chain linux search search_fs_file search_fs_uuid search_label ls help boot sh echo configfile part_gpt part_msdos fat ntfs ext2 iso9660 udf hfsplus

I do not own a Mac, so maybe your output folder may not be in the EFI System Partition. Modify the command accordingly and test the new grub.efi file generated using this command

#8 2010-05-24 19:33:05

linus

skodabenz wrote:

I updated the archlinux UEFI wiki page to give the correct format of grub-mkimage command. The Gentoo wiki is correct for old grub-mkimage. The GRUB2 bzr revision 2372 (which is actually very recent - 17 May 2010) changed the grub-mkimage command slightly. Now you need the output type of the image as well as compulsorily mention the correct prefix folder parameter to grub-mkimage to prevent rescue console from appearing for GRUB2. The Gentoo page's command will not work for the new grub-mkimage tool. The updated shell script http://gist.github.com/gists/410877/download will help you compile, install and create the proper grub.efi file.

Even after this if you still boot to a rescue shell, include "normal chain linux search search_fs_file search_fs_uuid search_label ls help boot sh echo configfile" modules while building grub.efi file using grub-mkimage.

In your case the command should be (these are the modules I would include)

./grub-mkimage -d . -o <EFI SYSTEM PARTITION>/EFI/<YOUR_GRUB2_FOLDER>/grub.efi -O TARGET_EFI_ARCH-efi -p /efi/<YOUR_GRUB2_FOLDER> normal chain linux search search_fs_file search_fs_uuid search_label ls help boot sh echo configfile part_gpt part_msdos fat ntfs ext2 iso9660 udf hfsplus

I do not own a Mac, so maybe your output folder may not be in the EFI System Partition. Modify the command accordingly and test the new grub.efi file generated using this command

Your a GENIUS! GRUB2 works so far. I get the boot menu and I can boot OS X! Now I'm trying to find a working menucfg for arch. I tried

menuentry "Arch" {
  # Set the root device for GNU/Linux.
  search --set /boot/vmlinux26
  # Load the kernel and initrd.
  linux /boot/vmlinux26 video=vesafb agp=off acpi=force libata.atapi_enabled=1 init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 pcboot=cdrom gpt
  initrd /boot/kernel26.img
}

I get the following error:

error: unspecified search type

search --set /boot/vmlinux26 seems to be wrong...

I will investigate further in the next couple days. Thank you so much for your help skodabenz! You really know this stuff smile

Last edited by linus (2010-05-24 19:34:05)

#9 2010-05-25 14:53:46

skodabenz
Banned

Try "search --fs-file /boot/vmlinux26 --set root" instead of "search --set /boot/vmlinux26". Also why is there so many kernel parameters and why the root for the kernel is "ram" device

#10 2010-05-25 16:14:54

linus

skodabenz wrote:

Try "search --fs-file /boot/vmlinux26 --set root" instead of "search --set /boot/vmlinux26". Also why is there so many kernel parameters and why the root for the kernel is "ram" device

Ok. Maybe we have to go back because I did a mistake before. The shell script didn't work so well. It didn't recognize the first "if clause".

./grub2_efi.sh: line 64: [: missing `]'
./grub2_efi.sh: line 65: : command not found
./grub2_efi.sh: line 67: : command not found
./grub2_efi.sh: line 69: : command not found
./grub2_efi.sh: line 71: : command not found
./grub2_efi.sh: line 73: : command not found
./grub2_efi.sh: line 75: ]: command not found

When I used the ./grub2_efi without a parameter I didn't get output for usage. I also only used the first 3 parameters. It created /boot on my efi partition but it was empty. so I've copied vmlinux and kernel.img from my boot partition.

Okay. This about the grub.cfg
Are you sure with that? It doesn't work for me.  I don't think 

search --fs-file

is valid.
I tried different versions like

search -s -f /boot/vmlinux

I'm sure I need this:

-f, --file         Search devices bg a file.
-s, --set=VAR      Set a variable te the first device found.

This is the suggestion of http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnEFI

menuentry "GNU/Linux" {
  # Set the root device for GNU/Linux.
  search --set /boot/vmlinuz
  # Load the kernel and initrd.
  linux /boot/vmlinuz video=vesafb agp=off acpi=force libata.atapi_enabled=1 init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 pcboot=cdrom gpt
  initrd /boot/initrd
}

search --set seams to be wrong. Will I need something like "insmod lvm" because my root partition is on lvm?

Currently even with a valid search statement I get the following output

Booting a command list
[Linux-bzImage, set=0x3200,size=0x1f918]
[Initrd, addr=0x4fd6f004, size]

Then it stucks, the cursor doesn't blink and my CPU gets hot. What does this mean? Does grub find my kernel and Initrd image or not?

#11 2010-05-25 16:29:36

skodabenz
Banned

Try the new grub2_efi.sh file I have uploaded in the link. If you get an error like this

bash: ./grub2_efi.sh: /bin/sh^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

type this command

dos2unix --d2u grub2_efi.sh

and then execute the file. All the parameters are required for the script to compile and install GRUB2 correctly. As for "search" command, I have not used it so I do not know anything about the syntax.

#12 2010-05-28 07:30:44

linus

Hey skoda.

I have seen you changed the script. I think you did a mistake.

sudo cp --verbose ${GRUB2_EXTRAS_MODULES} ${GRUB2_EFI_PREFIX}/lib/${name}/${TARGET_EFI_ARCH}-efi/

line 129: grub2_extras_modules var is used but never set to any value.

whats the purpose of the parameter GRUB2_EFI_PREFIX=$6? Can I use a an empty folder for that?

Thanks

#13 2010-05-28 15:30:56

skodabenz
Banned

linus wrote:

Hey skoda.

I have seen you changed the script. I think you did a mistake.

sudo cp --verbose ${GRUB2_EXTRAS_MODULES} ${GRUB2_EFI_PREFIX}/lib/${name}/${TARGET_EFI_ARCH}-efi/

whats the purpose of the parameter GRUB2_EFI_PREFIX=$6? Can I use a an empty folder for that?

Thanks

Thanks. I corrected the error. In any case you just have to comment out line 129 for this error to go off.

GRUB2_EFI_PREFIX is the parameter which will be passed to configure script as ./configure --prefix=${GRUB2_EFI_PREFIX} .
It is the folder where "sudo make install" will install the GRUB2 tools. For (U)EFI GRUB2 this folder is not important as you can create grub.efi file from the Build directory itself. But this folder is important for GRUB2 BIOS. In grub2_efi.sh script, this parameter is optional.

Also the "backup" parameters (4th and 5th) are not needed if you do not want to backup old GRUB2 main and tools (prefix) files. But you have to comment out the appropriate lines to prevent errors like

from occurring.

#14 2010-05-29 11:21:39

linus

Ok. I tried again.
First of all I have found a small mistake:
line 103:

--format=${TARGET_EFI_ARCH}-efi

format seems not to be a valid parameter...

When run the script I get several errors:

grub-mkimage: info: getting the size of /grub-1.98/GRUB2_EFI_BUILD_DIR_x86_64/kernel.img.
grub-mkimage: info: reading /grub-1.98/GRUB2_EFI_BUILD_DIR_x86_64/kernel.img.
grub-mkimage: info: getting the size of /grub-1.98/GRUB2_EFI_BUILD_DIR_x86_64/kernel.img.
grub-mkimage: error: invalid ELF header.
+ echo

I have found one hint which is already one year old: http://www.mail-archive.com/grub-devel@ … 10611.html

+ sudo cp --verbose '*.mod' /mnt/efi/grub2/
cp: cannot stat `*.mod': No such file or directory
+ sudo cp --verbose command.lst crypto.lst fs.lst handler.lst moddep.lst partmap.lst parttool.lst terminal.lst video.lst /mnt/efi/grub2/
cp: cannot stat `command.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `crypto.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `fs.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `handler.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `moddep.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `partmap.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `parttool.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `terminal.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `video.lst': No such file or directory

All mod and lst files are missing. When a use the first backup parameter all mod files are this backup folder and I can  copy them manually. But I can still not find the lst files.

regards
linus

#15 2010-05-29 17:53:15

skodabenz
Banned

linus wrote:

Ok. I tried again.
First of all I have found a small mistake:
line 103:

--format=${TARGET_EFI_ARCH}-efi

format seems not to be a valid parameter...

The "--format=" parameter is not a mistake. The grub2_efi.sh file will be updated as and when changes are made in GRUB2 bzr repo. I try to keep up with the upstream development and not stick to any release version. In your case, that parameter in grub-mkimage command will fail with grub-1.98 as that parameter was included in grub-mkimage after 1.98 tarball was released. Just remove that parameter from the command before compiling grub-1.98. I will add comments in the grub2_efi.sh file regarding this.

linus wrote:

When run the script I get several errors:

grub-mkimage: info: reading /grub-1.98/GRUB2_EFI_BUILD_DIR_x86_64/kernel.img.
grub-mkimage: error: invalid ELF header.
+ echo

I have found one hint which is already one year old: http://www.mail-archive.com/grub-devel@ … 10611.html

The kernel.img file mentioned by grub-mkimage is not the linux kernel. It refers to the grub2's own kernel image from which core.img is created for BIOS systems or grub.efi file is created for UEFI systems. In your case, either you should have mistakingly copied linux kernel image to GRUB2 build folder (this leads to  invalid ELF header error) or the kernel.img file created during grub2's make command is invalid or  no kernel.img file existed in the folder. If it is the second or third case, then something is wrong with the source code. This error is in no way related to the "--format" parameter mentioned above.

linus wrote:
+ sudo cp --verbose '*.mod' /mnt/efi/grub2/
cp: cannot stat `*.mod': No such file or directory
+ sudo cp --verbose command.lst crypto.lst fs.lst handler.lst moddep.lst partmap.lst parttool.lst terminal.lst video.lst /mnt/efi/grub2/
cp: cannot stat `command.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `crypto.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `fs.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `handler.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `moddep.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `partmap.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `parttool.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `terminal.lst': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `video.lst': No such file or directory

All mod and lst files are missing. When a use the first backup parameter all mod files are this backup folder and I can  copy them manually. But I can still not find the lst files.

This means that grub2 did not compile properly or in your case since no *.mod files, did not compile at all. Can you attach the entire terminal output of your run of grub2_efi.sh file. If any bug exists, I will inform GRUB2 developers in grub-devel mailing list.

In my case, GRUB2 compiles and installs perfectly for both BIOS and UEFI systems (even yesterday), although I use the latest bzr repo and not any release tarball.

I also have a similar script file for compiling GRUB2 for BIOS. If you want, I will upload it to my account in gist.github.com similar to grub2_efi.sh , maybe by tomorrow.

Last edited by skodabenz (2010-05-29 18:27:10)

#16 2010-05-29 18:33:27

linus

Hmm.. I tried the bzr version first but most of all C files gave me error's... I'll try again. Thx

#17 2010-05-29 18:44:13

skodabenz
Banned

grub2_efi.sh       http://gist.github.com/410877
grub2_bios.sh    http://gist.github.com/418438

#18 2010-05-29 19:00:47

linus

I've just tried. I've downloaded the latest grub2 by

bzr branch http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/trunk/grub

This is the a part of the configure log:

configure:4359: checking lex output file root
configure:4373: result: lex.yy
configure:4378: checking lex library
configure:4392: gcc -o conftest  -DGRUB_MACHINE_EFI=1 -DMACHINE=X86_64_EFI   conftest.c   >&5
/tmp/ccSwFu9K.o: In function `yylex':
conftest.c:(.text+0x693): undefined reference to `yywrap'
/tmp/ccSwFu9K.o: In function `input':
conftest.c:(.text+0x10ec): undefined reference to `yywrap'
/tmp/ccSwFu9K.o: In function `main':
conftest.c:(.text+0x1dab): undefined reference to `yywrap'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:4392: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "GRUB"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "grub"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.98"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "GRUB 1.98"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "bug-grub@gnu.org"
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| #define PACKAGE "grub"
| #define VERSION "1.98"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| 
| #line 3 "lex.yy.c"
| 
| #define  YY_INT_ALIGNED short int
| 
| /* A lexical scanner generated by flex */
| 
| #define FLEX_SCANNER
| #define YY_FLEX_MAJOR_VERSION 2
| #define YY_FLEX_MINOR_VERSION 5
| #define YY_FLEX_SUBMINOR_VERSION 35
| #if YY_FLEX_SUBMINOR_VERSION > 0
| #define FLEX_BETA
| #endif

after this error I get errors for nearly every C file.

#19 2010-05-29 19:10:57

skodabenz
Banned

I think this is due to very recent changes in grub2 bzr http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-import … zr/changes (revision 2405). I think we should report this in grub-devel mailing list.

Try

bzr branch -r 2404 PRESENT_GRUB2_BZR_LOCATION TEMPORARY_REPO_LOCATION

and try the script again.

#20 2010-05-29 19:17:05

skodabenz
Banned

I just ran configure on grub2 bzr revision 2405 (latest) and I got no error like yours.

[keshav_pr@keshav-laptop grub2_BZR]$ ./autogen.sh
/usr/share/aclocal/progsreiserfs.m4:13: warning: underquoted definition of AC_CHECK_LIBREISERFS
/usr/share/aclocal/progsreiserfs.m4:13:   run info '(automake)Extending aclocal'
/usr/share/aclocal/progsreiserfs.m4:13:   or see http://sources.redhat.com/automake/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
configure.ac:42: warning: AC_ARG_PROGRAM was called before AC_CANONICAL_TARGET
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:1819: AC_CANONICAL_TARGET is expanded from...
configure.ac:42: the top level
configure.ac:41: installing `./config.guess'
configure.ac:41: installing `./config.sub'
configure.ac:35: installing `./install-sh'
configure.ac:35: installing `./missing'
automake: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output
WARNING: C file isn't a module: primegen.c
WARNING: C file isn't a module: ecc.c
WARNING: C file isn't a module: dsa.c
WARNING: C file isn't a module: rsa.c
WARNING: C file isn't a module: elgamal.c
[keshav_pr@keshav-laptop grub2_BZR]$ ./configure --with-platform=efi --target=x86_64 --disable-nls
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-none
checking for cmp... cmp
checking for bison... bison
checking for gawk... (cached) gawk
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables... 
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking dependency style of gcc... none
checking for flex... flex
checking lex output file root... lex.yy
checking lex library... -lfl
checking whether yytext is a pointer... yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for ruby... /usr/bin/ruby
checking for makeinfo... /usr/bin/makeinfo
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) none
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking minix/config.h usability... no
checking minix/config.h presence... no
checking for minix/config.h... no
checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
checking whether NLS is requested... no
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/bin/msgmerge
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking for CFPreferencesCopyAppValue... no
checking for CFLocaleCopyCurrent... no
checking whether to use NLS... no
checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
checking size of void *... 8
checking size of long... 8
checking whether our compiler is apple cc... no
checking for help2man... no
checking for posix_memalign... yes
checking for memalign... yes
checking for asprintf... yes
checking for vasprintf... yes
checking whether sys/types.h defines makedev... yes
checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
checking for library containing opendir... none required
checking for memmove... yes
checking for sbrk... yes
checking for strdup... yes
checking for lstat... yes
checking for getuid... yes
checking for getgid... yes
checking sys/mkdev.h usability... no
checking sys/mkdev.h presence... no
checking for sys/mkdev.h... no
checking sys/sysmacros.h usability... yes
checking sys/sysmacros.h presence... yes
checking for sys/sysmacros.h... yes
checking malloc.h usability... yes
checking malloc.h presence... yes
checking for malloc.h... yes
checking termios.h usability... yes
checking termios.h presence... yes
checking for termios.h... yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking sys/fcntl.h usability... yes
checking sys/fcntl.h presence... yes
checking for sys/fcntl.h... yes
checking limits.h usability... yes
checking limits.h presence... yes
checking for limits.h... yes
checking util.h usability... no
checking util.h presence... no
checking for util.h... no
checking for x86_64-gcc... no
checking for x86_64-egcs... no
checking for x86_64-cc... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for x86_64-objcopy... no
checking for objcopy... objcopy
checking for x86_64-strip... no
checking for strip... strip
checking for x86_64-nm... no
checking for nm... nm
checking whether -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm works... yes
checking whether our target compiler is apple cc... no
checking for command to convert module to ELF format... 
checking whether option -mcmodel=large works... yes
checking whether option -mno-red-zone works... yes
checking whether `gcc' generates calls to `__enable_execute_stack()'... no
checking whether `gcc' has `-fPIE' as default... no
checking whether `gcc' accepts `-fstack-protector'... yes
checking whether `gcc' accepts `-mstack-arg-probe'... yes
checking if C symbols get an underscore after compilation... no
checking for __bswapsi2... yes
checking for __bswapdi2... yes
checking for __ashldi3... no
checking for __ashrdi3... no
checking for __lshrdi3... no
checking for __trampoline_setup... no
checking for __ucmpdi2... no
checking for _restgpr_14_x... no
checking whether target compiler is working... yes
checking whether objcopy works for absolute addresses... yes
checking whether linker accepts --build-id=none... yes
checking whether options required for efiemu work... yes
checking whether -nostdinc -isystem works... yes
checking for freetype-config... freetype-config
checking ft2build.h usability... yes
checking ft2build.h presence... yes
checking for ft2build.h... yes
checking for dm_task_create in -ldevmapper... yes
checking whether ln can handle directories properly... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating gensymlist.sh
config.status: creating genkernsyms.sh
config.status: creating stamp-h
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: linking include/grub/x86_64 to include/grub/cpu
config.status: linking include/grub/x86_64/efi to include/grub/machine
config.status: executing depfiles commands
config.status: executing po-directories commands
GRUB2 will be compiled with following components:
Platform: x86_64-efi
With memory debugging: No
efiemu runtime: Yes
grub-fstest: Yes
grub-mkfont: Yes

I think you need to upgrade "flex" package to >2.5.35 . What version of flex do you have?

#21 2010-05-29 19:18:57

linus

skodabenz wrote:

I think this is due to very recent changes in grub2 bzr http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~vcs-import … zr/changes (revision 2405). I think we should report this in grub-devel mailing list.

Try

Ehmm.. And whats the present grub2 bzr location?
you mean like this?

bzr branch -r 2404 http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/trunk/grub

I got the newest flex version:

[root@ubuntu /]# flex -V
flex 2.5.35

Last edited by linus (2010-05-29 19:22:37)

#22 2010-05-29 19:22:06

skodabenz
Banned

linus wrote:
skodabenz wrote:

Try

Ehmm.. And whats the present grub2 bzr location?
you mean like this?

bzr branch -r 2404 http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/grub/trunk/grub

The location of your downloaded bzr repo. Like

bzr branch -r 2404 /home/keshav/grub2-bzr/ /home/keshav/grub2-bzr-2404/

Last edited by skodabenz (2010-05-29 19:22:24)

#23 2010-05-29 19:28:46

skodabenz
Banned

How about bison, gettext, binutils, ruby, python, autoconf, automake versions?

My versions are

bison 2.4.2-1
binutils-multilib 2.20.1-2
flex 2.5.35-3
python 2.6.5-3
gettext 0.18-1
autoconf 2.65-2
automake 1.11.1-1

All are x86_64 versions.

Last edited by skodabenz (2010-05-29 19:29:44)

#24 2010-05-29 19:36:22

linus

skodabenz wrote:

How about bison, gettext, binutils, ruby, python, autoconf, automake versions?

My versions are

bison 2.4.2-1
binutils-multilib 2.20.1-2
flex 2.5.35-3
python 2.6.5-3
gettext 0.18-1
autoconf 2.65-2
automake 1.11.1-1

bison (GNU Bison) 2.4.2
Python 2.6.5
gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.18
autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.65
automake (GNU automake) 1.11.1
binutils-2.20.1-2 > I haven't got multilibs. I don't need them, right?

I got this information by <command> -V. How did you get it more detailed? But it looks similar. I did pacman -Syu and it seems I got the latest updates.

I could get the 2404 revision with

[root@ubuntu /]# bzr branch -r 2404 /grub /grub2404
failed to open trace file: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/ubuntu/.bzr.log'
[14720] 2010-05-29 21:28:50.551 INFO: Branched 2404 revision(s).               
Branched 2404 revision(s).

But I get the same errors as above...

Last edited by linus (2010-05-29 19:42:05)

#25 2010-05-29 19:39:56

skodabenz
Banned

linus wrote:

I got this information by <command> -V. How did you get it more detailed? But it looks similar. I did pacman -Syu and it seems I got the latest updates.

Using

pacman -Q bison binutils-multilib flex python gettext autoconf automake

I do not know what is wrong with your configure of GRUB2. Send the configure output to grub-devel.

Both GRUB2 (revision 2405) UEFI and BIOS compiled perfectly just a few minutes ago.

Last edited by skodabenz (2010-05-29 19:40:55)

Board footer