You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-23 23:04:47

Unia
Website

One problem and an annoyance.

Hello all,

I took the plunge and installed Arch on my laptop. I followed the beginner's guide and succesfully installed Arch as dualboot with Windows.
Right now I'm at Part IV: Installing and configuring a Desktop Environment.

So far I've encountered one problem, which I'd like to solve before contuining, and one annoyance.
The problem:
At step 3: configure X; part C: Test X, I can succesfully start xterm and everything (mouse, keyboard and synaptics) works, except when I use the command

$exit

my screen goes black. Using pkill X doesnt work, but I can blindly reboot my system. How can I solve this?
(Note: I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 and I use the xf86-video-ati driver)

The annoyance:
When I boot up (or reboot) and after logging in, I've to configure my wireless again, using

#wpa_passphrase "ESSID" "PASS" > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
#wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -i wlan0 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant
#dhcpcd wlan0

Is there any way to make my system automatically do this?

Thanks in advance!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2 2010-05-24 08:46:38

Unia
Website

Re: One problem and an annoyance.

I searched the wiki a bit and found this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/WPA_Supplicant
I don't really get it, but I'm sure that if I'll look into it a bit more I can puzzle it out. But before I do that, will it work? I don't want to mess arround with my base system too much.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#3 2010-05-24 08:51:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

I'd recommend netcfg for your wifi. Other options are wicd and networkmanager.

Re the black screen - have you tried Ctrl+Alt+F1(or F2/F3 etc) to get back to a console?

#4 2010-05-24 09:03:17

Unia
Website

Yes I have, but my screen stays black. Blindly doing Pkill X doesn't work, but blindy reboot does.

As for netcfg, does that work without X? I thought I had read in the wiki it does, I'll look into it. Thanks!

#5 2010-05-24 09:05:25

tomk
Forum Fellow

Yes, netcfg works without X. It's a big load of bash scripts. smile

#6 2010-05-24 09:08:11

Unia
Website

I just read the wiki and will try it now. I'll keep you updated.
Any clues on the black screen after exiting xterm?

#7 2010-05-24 11:23:03

Unia
Website

Sorry for my late reply.

I followed the steps given here, but it didn't work out.
I guess this doesn't matter that much, because when I install KDE (which I'm planning on doing once I solve this black screen) I can configure my wireless and let it startup at boot, right?

#8 2010-05-24 12:22:27

Unia
Website

I've been thinking.. that problem with my black screen, do I really have to solve this in order for a Desktop Environment to work properly?

#9 2010-05-24 17:25:50

Unia
Website

No-one's got a clue? Please, I'm very eager to continue tongue

#10 2010-05-24 17:57:56

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Unia wrote:

I've been thinking.. that problem with my black screen, do I really have to solve this in order for a Desktop Environment to work properly?

no i wouldn't think you would need to solve this before installing a DE.  If xterm opens properly, than another DE should as well.  It just might go black once you logout.

#11 2010-05-24 18:44:00

Unia
Website

So it might also stay black if I hibernate / sleep my laptop? Oh well, I'll install a DE right now and solve the problem later.

#12 2010-05-27 20:18:22

whitethorn

For your wireless problem, you could just add the lines to /etc/rc.local

Board footer