You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-25 04:15:14

robert_s

Dual booting with existing /Home partition and Ubuntu

I want to make an Asus EeePC 1005HAB into a dual boot.

Right now I have a 10gb partition with Ubuntu on it, a 136gb partition mounted at /Home and 10gb unformatted.

I would like to use the same home partition and have the same username for both distros. 

Is there some documentation out there to help me out with this? 

Has anyone here done something like this and can inform me of problems I'm likely to encounter with Ubuntu and Arch sharing the same config files in my home directory?

#2 2010-05-25 04:42:57

perbh

Re: Dual booting with existing /Home partition and Ubuntu

I know many people prefer a seperate /home partition - me, I don't! The proliferation of dot-files are not always portable.
At least I would suggest that you operate with two different usernames - but then ymmv ...
Instead I use a quasi-home - ie. I use a 'common partition' (but not /home) for all my personal files - that way the dotfiles are kept out of the road. One thing that immediately springs to mind is that some applications (eg browsers) will probably not be at the same version, and hence config files (or dotfiles/dotdirectories) might screw things up ...

#3 2010-05-25 08:34:26

demian

Re: Dual booting with existing /Home partition and Ubuntu

You shouldn't use the same username. But if you do, you should be fine most of the time. If you use Gnome on both systems, the gconf files could be a source of trouble.

// Just try it.

Last edited by demian (2010-05-25 08:34:40)

no place like /home
github

Board footer