You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-25 11:25:56

Habmala
Website

Wacom CTL-460 (bamboo pen) threshold issue

Hello, I'm not sure if this should be here or in graphics (any mod feel free to advice or move ;) )

I've been having trubble w/ my wacom tablet recently, It used to work fine but after not using it for aprox. 3-4weeks I was in for a suprise when updating the drivers after (several) kernel updates. I am currently runing kernel Linux 2.6.33-ARCH i686 and X server 1.7.6.

I used to install the linuxwacom-bamboo-cth-ctl pakage from AUR (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31540) and configure my tablet through xorg.conf however it no longer seems to work. After a lot of testing and fiddling last night and today I have managed to get it to respond by adding the 10-tablet.fdi file to /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ I'm using the smaller one from the wiki

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <!-- -*- SGML -*- -->

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
 <device>
   <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input">
     <match key="info.product" contains="Wacom">
       <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">wacom</merge>
       <merge key="input.x11_options.Type" type="string">stylus</merge>
     </match>
     <match key="info.product" contains="WALTOP">
     </match>
   </match>
   <match key="info.product" contains="HID 1b96:0001">
     <match key="info.parent" contains="if0">
     </match>
   </match>
  </device>
 </deviceinfo>

However it now seems to not recognise my setings in xorg.conf (I recall there being somthing about the .fdi-file ranking higher, but don't remember where I read it.) So the tablet works but has a massiv threshold mening I have to press really hard for any type of response. I used to set the threshold to 5 in xorg.conf. But now it ignores that and sets a (default?) value of 27. Atleast thats what I'm getting from the Xorg.0.log

[sebb@Pablo ~]$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep Wacom
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger
(II) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: x-axis range 0 - 480
(II) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: y-axis range 0 - 320
(II) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: pressure range 0 - 1023
(II) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: finger width range 0 - 0
(II) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: buttons: double triple
(--) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: touchpad found
(**) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: always reports core events
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger" (type: TOUCHPAD)
(**) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
(**) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: (accel) acceleration profile 0
(--) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Finger: touchpad found
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen
(**) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen: always reports core events
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen" (type: STYLUS)
(--) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen: using pressure threshold of 27 for button 1
(--) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen: Wacom USB Bamboo tablet speed=38400 maxX=14720 maxY=9200 maxZ=1023 resX=2540 resY=2540  tilt=disabled
(--) Wacom Bamboo 4x5 Pen: top X=0 top Y=0 bottom X=14720 bottom Y=9200 resol X=2540 resol Y=2540
[sebb@Pablo ~]$

So my question would be where to set this option as it seems to ignore my old setting? I'v tried various settings in xorg.conf but all are ignored.

The "Calibrating Tablet"-skript from the wiki http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wac … ing_Tablet mentions something like this in the comments, but I'm not sure how to use it on the arch-system as the comments are for ubuntu. (It seems to mention several rc.d directories in /etc/ (?))

I simply don't get it, Thanks a lot to anyone that does.

//Habmala

#2 2010-05-25 13:00:04

Habmala
Website

Re: Wacom CTL-460 (bamboo pen) threshold issue

Update

I got my hopes up a bit reading more at the wiki and trying the script w/ xsetwacom I also tried xsetwacom without the script but in both cases it seems to have no effect. I can edit the same options as in xorg.conf but they don't seem to get througt to what-ever-controls-the-tablet.

Update again

I seem to have done some misscalculations. I get the same behaviour even without the .fdi-file. My current guess is that xorg doesn't know what to do with the device and passes it to HAL that doesn't have my settings, OR xorg reads and uses the xorg.conf but gets run-over by HAL?
It seems that in the end it's allways HAL that ends up last in the xorg log. Also it is HAL that adds the FINGER option I dont have that in the hardware, I think maybe Hal is trying to be nice but not quite hitting the mark. I'll have to read up.

Last edited by Habmala (2010-05-25 14:22:49)

#3 2010-05-28 20:02:59

Habmala
Website

Re: Wacom CTL-460 (bamboo pen) threshold issue

Update

It now works again, I downloded and installed the same package from AUR again, I think there might have been an update. I't doesn't behave just as before but atleast I dont have to crush the pad to get a reaction, so I guess I'm okey with it. As I haven't changed anything else I still dont know what the problem was, maybe it was a bug that was fixed. No one else mentioned it though (?).. Ether way, while a "magic" fix isn't a good one I'm happy for now.

Cheers // Habmala

ps. still sais threshold 27, but is much more responsive.

Board footer