You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-29 22:01:08

DStein

Live environment wifi install issue (Intel 6300 Ultimate N)

I wasn't quite sure where to put this post, but as I consider myself a newbie to Linux (2 years) and a newbie to Arch (1 year), I thought I would just post here.

I recently bought a new Asus G51Jx-A1 laptop and was pleasantly surprised to see a new Arch install released the day before my laptop arrived.  I immediately blew away Win 7 and got to work.  I've had success in the past with enabling wireless and WPA2 from the live install environment with a Toshiba netbook, so I thought I'd go the same route with the unit.  Immediately I hit a snag and a quick search revealed that I needed to load the appropriate firmware.

Well in the live install environment, there are firmwares available for what looks like all Intel WiFi adapters up to and including the 5000 series, but there are none for the 6000 series.  Since I downloaded the full install, I just decided to go with it and figured I would locate an RJ-45 somewhere in my house later.  I was fairly surprised when it came to selecting the packages to install.  There it was, the firmware for the 6000 series.

So am I missing something quite obvious in my procedure?  Or was this an oversight to not put the 6000 firmware in the live environment?  It's only around 650kb or so, so it would not seem like space constraints would have prevented it's inclusion.

#2 2010-05-30 09:41:09

byte

Re: Live environment wifi install issue (Intel 6300 Ultimate N)

See this thread: http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 16899.html
That switch was made after 2.6.34, a while after the finalization of the current ISOs.

You should try this one: http://mirrors.kernel.org/archlinux/iso … ot/latest/

#3 2010-05-30 15:47:19

DStein

Re: Live environment wifi install issue (Intel 6300 Ultimate N)

Thank you for the reply.  It feels like the more I know, the more there is to still discover...

Board footer