You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-29 23:26:46

technojickle

Wake over Lan over Internet (WoLoI?)

Hello,

I've had a system behind a firewall at my parents' place for a long time. I've always wanted to be able to turn it on remotely, backup my stuff from my dorm, and then shut it off remotely.

I know of WoL and had configured it to work on the local area network at my parents' house, but I'd like to learn how to make it work over the Internet as well. I think I have to open up some ports (9 or something?) I would also like to make sure it's sent as securely as possible (I know there's some sort of password padding, but I don't know how secure that is) I would appreciate it if someone let me know what to do.

Thanks!

#2 2010-05-29 23:55:24

Harlequin

Re: Wake over Lan over Internet (WoLoI?)

Well this not arch-specific, but anyway. You need to forward some ports with your router (port 9 by default afaik). There is a guide in the wiki for wol over the internet http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wak … 8router.29 But honestly, imho you should tunnel your traffic over a vpn or ssh from wherever to your router, so that you are just like in a normal intranet. This would be the most elegant and secure way, but your route to be able to do that.

Board footer