You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-30 09:28:52

geniuz

Advice on new partition scheme

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to install Arch64 (moving from 32bit Arch) on my desktop machine which has a AMD Quad Core processor and 4GB of RAM. It also has a 1TB harddisk for which I find it a bit tough to choose a nice partition scheme. Right now I only have separate boot partition formatted as ext2 which I think I will keep, I will only install LILO instead of GRUB. Also my / (and hence /home) are both formatted as ext3.

To be honest I never really used anything other than ext2/3, but I would like to experiment with other filesystems such as JFS, since I've heard good things about it. Here's a quick draft of what I had in mind:

/boot: 100MB ext2
/: 30-40GB JFS

The rest of the space gets divided between /home and maybe one extra partition mounted inside home which holds all my permanent files such as music, dvd's and stuff for school. But that might also simply reside on /home unless somebody can suggest a different filesystem well suited for such a partition. Originally I'm thinking of formatting /home and hence my "media" partition as JFS too.

What is also important is that I would like to make regular disk-images of / such that if something breaks during an upgrade (which is unlikely, but possible) I can easily overwrite the / partition with this disk-image in case I'm to lazy to fix it. Therefore I'm considering if it is wise or not to make a separate partition for /proc since I wouldn't want that folder ending up anywhere inside this image.

In any way, I would appreciate some input here as to whether the above makes any sense and maybe some suggestions about other filesystems for the different partitions.

#2 2010-05-30 09:41:38

toad
Website

Re: Advice on new partition scheme

If I were to tinker around with my arch install I would definitely put /var/ on its own reiserfs partition to speed up pacman, rest is not so important to me...

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2010-05-30 09:55:14

byte

Re: Advice on new partition scheme

"What partition layout do you have?"
Also, /proc (and /dev/ and /sys...) are virtual filesystems, they don't write anything to your harddisk.

Board footer