You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-30 14:05:45

blue-dev

Kernel panic: [application] not syncing - trying to kill [application]

Hi,
I moved from Gentoo to Arch the other day and now I'm trying to get a custom kernel up and running.
I use the following config: http://nopaste.info/97f9cee284_nl.html , and the bfs patch.

Every time I boot I get a kernel panic like this:
Segault in [application] at address [some random address]
Kernel panic - not syncing - Trying to kill [application]

[application] is always init or any other application I want to access e.g. init=/bin/bash
There are no other visible errors.
The exact same config (except for 32bit) was running perfectly fine in Gentoo.

I installed the kernel without a pkgbuild but downloaded the sources, put it under /usr/src and copied the kernel image.

Could anyone have a look at my .config and tell me if I missed something?
Maybe there are some problems because I forgot to turn on a specific 64bit option?

#2 2010-05-30 15:10:21

bema

Re: Kernel panic: [application] not syncing - trying to kill [application]

You could enable CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION, which I had to when using Gentoo. Don't know whether that solves your problem though.

#3 2010-05-30 16:32:09

ewaller
Administrator

Welcome to Arch from a fellow Gentoo expatriate. What did you use as a basis for your kernel config?  Did you roll your own from scratch, or did you extract it from a running Arch kernel?  Browsing through it, it looks like you have a mix of built-ins and modules, and have pared down a bunch of stuff you won't use.

The arch Kernel seems is heavily based on modularization (presumably so it it'll run on anything).  I'd suggest booting an Arch kernel, and take a careful look at the output of lsmod to make sure you have your bases covered.

Good luck and Welcome.

P.S.

Maybe there are some problems because I forgot to turn on a specific 64bit option?

Which Arch Architecture did you install?

Last edited by ewaller (2010-05-30 16:34:05)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2010-06-01 13:01:23

blue-dev

bema: I tried CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION but it didn't work. I get the same strange result: Some segfault at a completely random address followed by a kernel panic.

ewaller: The config is the same config I ran under Gentoo for about half a year with a 2.6.31 kernel. I just ran make oldconfig and looked over it quickly to see if everything went smoothly.
The mix of modules and build-ins shouldn't be a problem as nothing vital for the boot process is compiled as a module. I tested some hardware at some point so I loaded the drivers as modules.

I installed the x86_64 architecture from the newest iso. I'm new to 64 as I was stuck with some drivers that were only available for 32bit before but are now also available for 64bit, so I don't really now if I missed something when compiling the kernel.
Is it normal that the bzImage in the 64bit arch/ directory is linked to the normal x86 bzImage?

Board footer