You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-30 21:07:38

The_Air_Penguin

IO error occured opening connection

For almost a month now, gnome is horribly slow when logging in and starting applications. I was busy with some other (windows) stuff so I hadn't taken any time to fix this until now. I believe this started happening after a glib or dbus-glib upgrade, though I'm not sure.

Like I said, login is very slow. It takes a couple of minutes. Most applications run normally (eog, alacarte, gimp, gcalctool, gconf-editor, easytag, comix, chromium, file-roller...). Some of them don't work at all (evince, rhythmbox), they just return exitcode 141 after some 15 seconds of hard drive and CPU activity.

Others work, but start after 15 seconds of waiting with hard drive and CPU activity. They give a warning like "Failed to connect to the session manager: IO error occured opening connection" (nautilus, totem, gnomine, gnome-terminal) or "Qt: Session management error: IO error occured opening connection" (vlc).

All console programs work, only vim (including gvim) waits those 15 seconds to start, but gives no errors or warnings of any sort.

I am completely puzzled by this situation and was hoping some kind soul here could shed some light on the problem. Thanks.

Board footer