You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-01 14:16:24

quayasil

How to disable washing up initial messages (tty1)

I'm used to Gentoo. After system startup Gentoo doesn't clear initial messages (tty1). I find it vesry useful -- without logging to the system I can taka a short glace to check if everything went OK. Arch immediately clears the tty1 after starting (or not) all services. How can I disable this behaviour, that is: leave all messages?

#2 2010-06-01 14:20:42

George.Harmony

Re: How to disable washing up initial messages (tty1)

just login and run dmesg from the command line

You could also run

dmesg > boot | nano boot

to get it in an editor. This will create a file called boot in your home directory for later perusal also if need be.

Hope this is what you were looking for

Desktop:  Compiz Stand Alone w/ Cairo Dock.
Laptop:    Pekwm w/ Tint2
Jukebox:   MPD w/ cli
Gateway: Vuurmuur w/dialog

#3 2010-06-01 14:22:22

wonder
Developer
Website

quayasil wrote:

I'm used to Gentoo. After system startup Gentoo doesn't clear initial messages (tty1). I find it vesry useful -- without logging to the system I can taka a short glace to check if everything went OK. Arch immediately clears the tty1 after starting (or not) all services. How can I disable this behaviour, that is: leave all messages?

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis … t_Messages

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2010-06-01 14:25:59

tomk
Forum Fellow

George.Harmony - fyi dmesg contains kernel info only. The OP is looking for the messages generated during system initialization i.e. daemon start-up etc.

#5 2010-06-01 14:32:52

George.Harmony

tomk wrote:

George.Harmony - fyi dmesg contains kernel info only. The OP is looking for the messages generated during system initialization i.e. daemon start-up etc.

Now of course I am curious. Is there a way to get that information after the system has booted and cleared it from screen? If so what would that command be? Thanks in advance.

Also sorry for the misinformation. I am fairly new to the command line and thought I saw an oppurtunity to help.

Last edited by George.Harmony (2010-06-01 14:35:09)

#6 2010-06-01 14:36:49

quayasil

George.Harmony wrote:

just login and run dmesg from the command line

You could also run

dmesg > boot | nano boot

to get it in an editor. This will create a file called boot in your home directory for later perusal also if need be.

Hope this is what you were looking for

Obviously not, it isn't.

1) If ordinary users use LDAP-based authentication some problems with /etc/rc.d scripts at starting the system (for example: bringing up the interfaces) can disable logging into the system. As an workstation administrator I require more detailed information about the problem from my users than just "it doesn't work".

2) dmesg doesn't display the information about, for example, daemons being started...

Last edited by quayasil (2010-06-01 14:38:04)

#7 2010-06-01 15:09:02

toad
Website

quayasil wrote:

Obviously not, it isn't.

quayasil, GH was trying to help.Such offhand remarks are very rude.

@ Wonder
Thing with the wiki solution is that it is not permanent, at least not in the sense that the info gets written to a log file sad

The wiki says /etc/rc.sysinit calls up the daemons and writes everything to dmesg, i.e. back to square one. In any case, it appears that /etc/rc.multi is responsible for daemons!?

I _suppose_ one could put something into rc.sysinit and/or rc.multi for it to actually write a log file. Seems strange to me as well to purposefully hide and dump such info. Very unarch-like...

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#8 2010-06-01 15:20:22

quayasil

wonder wrote:
quayasil wrote:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis … t_Messages

The '-i' paremeter for the 'aggetty' command for the 'tty1' (/etc/inittab) does exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

#9 2010-06-01 15:20:36

gazj
Website

You can use this script to see which daemons are running, just execute it after start up.

#!/bin/bash
# daemon status

function chk_status(){
  target=$1
  if [ $target != "functions" ] && [ $target !=  "functions.d" ]
  then
    if [ -f "/var/run/daemons/$target" ]
     then
       stat="\e[1;32m[RUNNING]"
     else
       stat="\e[1;31m[STOPPED]"
     fi

printf "$stat \t\e[1;34m$target\e[0;0m\n"
  fi
 }

daemons=$(ls /etc/rc.d/)

if [[ $1 != "" ]]
  then
   chk_status $1
 else
   for d in $daemons
    do
     chk_status $d
   done | sort
 fi

exit 0

#10 2010-06-01 15:29:55

quayasil

toad wrote:
quayasil wrote:

Obviously not, it isn't.

It was the answer to the question: "Hope this is what you were looking for" ;-)

PS1: Answering someone's questions with the assumption "The asking person is certainly a total lame, and surely doesn't know the basic commands" is not a very nice attitude, if you mentioned it.

PS2: In my question I wrote "without logging to the system I can take a short glace to check if everything went OK". Reading a question before answering it is a nice habit.

#11 2010-06-01 15:37:59

quayasil

gazj wrote:

You can use this script to see which daemons are running, just execute it after start up.

#!/bin/bash
# daemon status

function chk_status(){
  target=$1
  if [ $target != "functions" ] && [ $target !=  "functions.d" ]
  then
    if [ -f "/var/run/daemons/$target" ]
     then
       stat="\e[1;32m[RUNNING]"
     else
       stat="\e[1;31m[STOPPED]"
     fi

printf "$stat \t\e[1;34m$target\e[0;0m\n"
  fi
 }

daemons=$(ls /etc/rc.d/)

if [[ $1 != "" ]]
  then
   chk_status $1
 else
   for d in $daemons
    do
     chk_status $d
   done | sort
 fi

exit 0

I can even type just:

ls /var/run/daemons

;-)

But the main idea of my question -- as I wrote -- is:

My users authenticate againts an LDAP server. If some of the daemons responsible for that connection experience some problems thay cannot login. No chances for executing any command. I'd like them to be able to figure out what daemon has what problems by just taking a glance at the screen. That is: by disabling cleaning it out.

Setting:

c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -i -8 38400 tty1 linux

in the '/etc/inittab' solves the problem.

#12 2010-06-01 15:44:01

George.Harmony

quayasil wrote:
toad wrote:
quayasil wrote:

Obviously not, it isn't.

It was the answer to the question: "Hope this is what you were looking for" ;-)

PS1: Answering someone's questions with the assumption "The asking person is certainly a total lame, and surely doesn't know the basic commands" is not a very nice attitude, if you mentioned it.

PS2: In my question I wrote "without logging to the system I can take a short glace to check if everything went OK". Reading a question before answering it is a nice habit.

I usually don't bother defending myself on forums cause flame wars are no fun but.

1. I didn't assume you were lame I simply thought you were new since this was asked in the newbie corner section.

2 I had to search around to figure out how I could get to see those messages just about 2 weeks ago. I thought I could not see them after I logged in. Basically I asked myself the same question you did and then found I could log in and then get the messages using dmesg.

3 If you thought I was answering with an any attitude other than trying to be helpful I apologize.

4 Thanks for calling me lame because I don't know all the basic commands yet myself.

And finally

5 I think I will go elsewhere to other forums since it seems this community doesn't need lame noob's who are willing to at least try to help people that might be in the same position they might have been in the recent past.

#13 2010-06-01 16:08:16

tomk
Forum Fellow

quayasil, toad, George.Harmony - take a second and calm down please.

toad - all of this could have been avoided if you had used the forum's report function, instead of going off-topic and trying to deal with it yourself. The forum moderator team is here for a reason - if you see behaviour that you believe is not acceptable, just report it.

quayasil - this applies to you too. Instead of replying to toad, and dragging the thread further off-topic, you should have simply reported him.

George.Harmony - you are of course free to go elsewhere, but I'd suggest you take a step back, and decide if you're going to let one dubious encounter prevent you from participating here. I'd recommend you stay, but it's up to you.

No further off-topic posts please - resume the discussion, or the thread will be closed.

#14 2010-06-01 20:40:32

toad
Website

Ohh, just had a look at this again, blown away, sorry. Thanks, tomk - good advice.

It is obvious I didn't understand the wiki. Thanks to quayasil's post I tried it and it works as advertised. Well pleased. I've changed the wiki to make it somewhat more intelligible, but please peruse and contribute.

Anyway, totally OT -- this strikes me as the natural Arch way, keep messages. I'll have this as default from now on smile

never trust a toad...

#15 2010-06-02 00:09:45

Diaz

I think that i just commented the first tty from /etc/inittab:

# -8 options fixes umlauts problem on login                                                                                                                    
#c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty1 linux                                                                                                              
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty2 linux                                                                                                               
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty3 linux                                                                                                               
#c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty4 linux                                                                                                              
#c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty5 linux                                                                                                              
#c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty6 linux    

the messages stay there, hope it helps.

#16 2010-06-02 06:34:52

toad
Website

Now, is there a way to pipe this stuff into a log file?

never trust a toad...

#17 2010-06-02 17:24:28

toad
Website

Diaz wrote:

I think that i just commented the first tty from /etc/inittab:

# -8 options fixes umlauts problem on login                                                                                                                    
#c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty1 linux                                                                                                              
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty2 linux                                                                                                               
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty3 linux                                                                                                               
#c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty4 linux                                                                                                              
#c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty5 linux                                                                                                              
#c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -8 38400 tty6 linux    

the messages stay there, hope it helps.

Problem/feature with that is that tty1 doesn't come up with the login dialogue. Updated the wiki accordingly. Thanks for pointing this one out, Diaz smile

never trust a toad...

#18 2010-06-03 03:59:56

Diaz

I know that "problem", but like in my case, the system goes to init 5 through the inittab method, so if i see something strange in the logs, I can always go to tty1 and "debug" better. If for some reason one needs to go to another console tty2 is at hand and tty1 still shows the messages always xD.

Glad it is useful ^^

#19 2010-06-11 17:30:08

quayasil

toad wrote:

Problem/feature with that is that tty1 doesn't come up with the login dialogue. Updated the wiki accordingly. Thanks for pointing this one out, Diaz smile

I'm not sure if the wiki is consistent now. The section "Restoring /etc/issue" of http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dis … t_Messages IMHO doesn't make much sense in this context.

#20 2010-06-11 19:19:28

toad
Website

No probs, make it consistent as you understand it smile

never trust a toad...

Board footer