You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-02 13:58:56

bierni

pc2pc crossover cable connection

hi guys!

well it's my first one so first of all I would like to say hi and move forward.

I have 2 laptops + router. lets name my laptops master and slave. both are using wlan, windows 7 and the slave also Arch linux (no X, just the core) without any complications but... when I want to upgrade my Arch (pacman -Su etc. X-serwer and others) I'm forced to take my laptop and manually connect it to my router with ethernet cable which sucks and I thought I could make it easier -  the master is connected to router with wlan connection (so no ethernet cable) and at the same time with the slave (wlan off) with crossover cable. I  have tried to establish the internet connection but nothing seems to work sad

here is the windows troubleshoot centrum message

zkpuz8_d0h0cO.jpg

I don't know if it's possible to establish such a connection without making any changes with sub-masking etc. and make my master pc so it will be recognizable to slave such as router direct connection.

when someone have any idea I would be grateful

Last edited by bierni (2010-06-02 14:00:34)

#2 2010-06-02 14:22:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: pc2pc crossover cable connection

You say both laptops have wlan, so 'slave' can connect to the router via wifi, just like 'master' - that's by far the best solution.

If there's a good reason why that won't work, then it's a windows networking question, so maybe you should ask in a more windows-ish place.

#3 2010-06-02 15:30:18

bierni

not quite - I've used windows because I just wanted to see if my idea is going to work - if it will connect 2 pc automatically.

yes it can but my SSID is hidden and I don't know how to set it up so I could use my wlan connection to update my arch or to install arch on a new machine using wlan0 connection instead of eth0.

#4 2010-06-02 20:11:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

Read the wiki's wireless page.

Also, don't say "I dont know" - say "I haven't learnt yet". smile

#5 2010-06-03 12:40:41

bierni

ok smile so I haven't learnet yet - so I'm little confused... I use i4965, installed also the wpa_supplicant but - I'm not sure how to set it up - I found this and this. I made copy of wpa_supplicant (to be safe), then opened wpa_supplicant file and  have found examples and the places which could be filed up with my SSID name and password but I have seen some additional lines in other examples (other sites) like:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
# ap_scan=2 was the one for me you may try 0 or 1 indstead of 2
ap_scan=2
fast_reauth=1

and I don't know if I have to add this lines too or just live it and forget it. (on some german site someone said that it is necessary only when you compile this file from the source)

and second I just don't understand what this mean and what should I do with it wpa_passphrase mywireless "secretpassphrase" and this wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B

I thought it will be easier just tip my data into blank fields and start the connection.

and the last question - I don't want to start my wlan0 with my pc, I would to activate it with ifconfig blabla but after activating wlan0 don't want to set everything new (wpa_supplicant data).

Last edited by bierni (2010-06-03 12:41:15)

#6 2010-06-04 04:59:07

wizulis

Some weeks ago i connected a desktop-pc to a laptop(win 7) with cable and laptop to wifi, so i could update arch for a stand-alone system.

What i did was - connected to wifi from laptop, created a bridge connection ( in networking section, where you can see both adapters, mark both, right click and bridge connections) then plugged the cable and runned dhcpcd on arch machine. That worked.
(I could be wrong in some order of things, like when i plugged the cable )

Edit:

It was something similar to fifth post (by cyotee):
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0 … dID=326988

Last edited by wizulis (2010-06-04 05:02:09)

#7 2010-06-05 18:49:14

bierni

thanks for help but so far I know a bridge connection is not required in my case - although I have read it and make exactly the same as you suggested - it just doesn't work .

I'll try with a dhcp on "master" and a static ip on the "slave" - that should do.

if someone  has any other ideas - should feel free smile

Last edited by bierni (2010-06-05 18:54:06)

Board footer