You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-04 12:09:13

rbrux

Archppc won't install

I've been trying to install Archlinux ppc on my G5 single processor 1.6 with no luck. I can boot the cd and start the install without a hitch (arch64 or arch64-ofonly). It gets to udev and then the screen goes black, the cd stops and the fan goes crazy. I've been googling around with no luck (and on a side note I installed Yellow Dog with no problem). Hope someone can help. Thanks.

#2 2010-08-08 04:39:54

bickman2k

Re: Archppc won't install

I know that this is an older thread, but rather than open a new thread, I thought I'd bring this one back up. I'm having a similar issue with my G4 mirror doors with dual 1.25GHz and a GeForce 4 Ti 4600. I have had random errors with booting that got sorted out. I get to the Waiting for udev events section of booting to the installation when I get a black screen with "No signal" messages on the monitor. I've let it set for several minutes with no change. I just started trying to install this, so I'm using the latest version of the installer iso.
Thanks in advance.

#3 2010-08-10 10:02:44

kpbotbot
Website

add "nomodeset" into the kernel line (not entirely sure. but im completely sure its in the 2nd line) in grub before booting smile

Sex is not the answer.

Sex is the question, and Yes is the answer.

#4 2010-08-10 12:31:00

bickman2k

kpbotbot wrote:

add "nomodeset" into the kernel line (not entirely sure. but im completely sure its in the 2nd line) in grub before booting smile

Is there a way to fix this in the installation? I know that you can insert options in booting. Would it be something like "arch -nomodeset" or something at the "boot:" portion of the installation?

Board footer