You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-04 17:51:06

salinas_v
Website

gdm multihead xrandr workaround

I have found a post that work around the mirrored mode used by gdb if there is a multihead environment.

I find it annoying and want to ask if this can be added to the official package so we all can get off that default behavior.

The post is here http://tirdc.livejournal.com/26960.html

#2 2010-06-05 19:07:47

quigybo

Re: gdm multihead xrandr workaround

The workaround posted there is quite specific to his/her situation, and would not work in all cases. Plus the problem is not directly related to gdm but the way they wanted to configure their display - dynamically using xrandr instead of statically in xorg.conf. That code snippet could be put in any script that is run at startup, it deals only with X and not gdm.

#3 2010-06-05 21:03:15

salinas_v
Website

So, do you think it must be added to the xinitrc instead of gdm script?

It makes sense to have an static configuration when you have a static environment (such as a desktop) but when you have laptop which sometimes have attached an external monitor, not always the same.

#4 2010-06-06 08:18:11

quigybo

Actually I run Arch on my laptop and have my xorg.conf setup for dual monitors and it works fine with or without the external screen attached. X checks for connected outputs on startup (as long as load detection works) and runs the rules given in xorg.conf if it is connected. This only works however if the screen is attached when X starts, otherwise you need to do it manually with xrandr. This is no different to running it with gdm or xinitrc though.

I'm not too sure about xinitrc as it may run after you log in and before the desktop shows, so it will set up the monitors for you but gdm may still look the same. Just give it a go and see what happens.

#5 2010-06-06 21:26:23

salinas_v
Website

I was thinking in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to get a it used by gdm.

#6 2010-06-07 06:50:10

quigybo

Putting it in /etc/gdm/Init/Default is fine, my point was just that it is a specific solution and not suitable for use in Arch's gdm package as there are too many differences for each individual's setup. What if you wanted your external screen --left-of or --above instead of --right-of? What if the naming of your outputs are different than LVDS1 and VGA1 like in the workaround? It is something you should customise on your own setup, leaving the packages in the repo simple (following the arch way).

Last edited by quigybo (2010-06-07 06:51:22)

Board footer