You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-04 18:28:32

trusktr
Banned
Website

Why doesn't sleep/hibernate mode work? Comp never returns...

I have a new system that should be fully capable of sleeping/hibernating.

It works fine in windows, just not Arch. In Arch, the screen goes black and the computer seems to remain on "fan sounds, etc) but when i move the mouse or press keys the computer will never return from this sleep/hibernate mode. neutral

Any idea why sleep/hibernate mode might not work for me?

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#2 2010-06-04 18:46:47

archman-cro
Website

Re: Why doesn't sleep/hibernate mode work? Comp never returns...

Sleeping=suspending to ram? What commands do you use to suspend/hibernate? Someone might help you if you tell him that. pm-utils maybe?

The computer is not supposed to wake up on mouse activity, anyway (at least not by default).
See man for pm-utils, pm-hibernate and pm-suspend.

And this M$ Windows - Arch Linux comparison about working there and here not is totally out of the way. wink

#3 2010-06-04 23:39:05

trusktr
Banned
Website

Hehe, yeah i know windows is totally incomparable to arch. Arch is waaaaaaay better. big_smile.

Anyways, i'm not using any command. I'm using gnome shutdown>hibernate from the gnome menu, or the sleep button on my keyboard. They both seem to do the same thing (not work in the same way).

Is there somewhere I can see what command is used when i press the keyboard sleep button? Perhaps this will help solve the issue!

If it helps, i have nothing in my etc/pm/{config.d, power.d, sleep.d} directories. Shall i put something in there? Also, from what i've read i have to add something to grub so it knows to read the swap partition to return from hibernate... I'll keep you posted if that works!

Thanks for the help! archman-cro!

#4 2010-06-05 06:43:38

archman-cro
Website

Hmm, you definitely need a "resume" hook in grub. You will need to rebuild your kernel for that.
You need to edit the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf file and edit the "HOOKS" line by adding "resume" before "filesystems" but after "sata" or similar!
Then you issue a "mkinitcpio -p kernel26" (or whatever setting you have, this one is the default one) as root!
Add "resume=/dev/disk/by-uuid/<your_swap_uuid_here!>" after "kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/4df05d00-a278-4a1f-8caa-977365124b7b ro" in your /boot/grub/menu.lst for your setting.

I don't have anything in those dirs (etc/pm/{config.d, power.d, sleep.d}) either, so you probably won't need anything in there.

After you did all the above, try running pm-utils hibernation with "pm-hibernate" as root. Then see how it works.

I dunno about buttons. Maybe that's something about that xorg policy stuff files, but I'm just guessing.
Cheers! And reread the wiki! smile

#5 2010-06-05 17:48:13

trusktr
Banned
Website

Thanks archman. I'll report back when i've done it to see how it goes!

Board footer