You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-05 11:58:33

hungerfish

[SOLVED]2.6.34 fails to find rootfs, bug in mkinitcpio?

Hi,
I've decided to test the 2.6.34 kernel from testing (x64) today.
On reboot, it first banged out with a kernel panic:

Kernel Panic - VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

I then booted via livecd, and rebuilt the initrd manually (guessing it somehow wasn't built correctly upon kernel upgrade.
Now the panic is gone, but I get dropped to 'recovery shell' with the system complaining about not being able to find/id my rootfs roll
It is ext4, sits on /dev/sda3 or hd(0,2) and is specified by uuid in menu.lst.

I'm guessing that the initrd is still somehow broken, I've got all the standard hooks in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (pata,scsi,filesystem...).
I've checked the forums/mailing lists and haven't found anything like this (except in ubuntu forums),
http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org … ?p=9352968

So any ideas?

EDIT:
I've tried appending rootfstype=ext4 to kernel line in menu.lst and I will now try to add rootdelay=?, but other than that I don't know what could be done...

EDIT2:
I've managed to get it working again, I'm not sure exactly what did the trick, but I did the following to get this to work:
1.) disabled compression in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
2.) disabled the autodetct hook, added ext4 to 'MODULES' in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

3.) Rebuilt the initrd from livecd, by specefying (from livecd shell):

mkinitcpio  -b /mnt/rootpartition/ -c /mnt/rootpartition/etc/mkinitcpio.conf -k 2.6.34-ARCH -g /mnt/rootpartition/boot/kernel26.img

For this to work, I had to create a symlink from

/lib/modules/2.6.34-ARCH/modules.dep -> /mnt/rootpartition/lib/modules/2.6.34-ARCH/modules.dep

I also had to create the 2.6.34 folder in the livecd's /lib/modules folder, as it did not exist.

Question, coud/is this a bug in mkinitcpio??? As I did specify -b (basedir) shouldn't the hooks search paths also be made to be 'relative' to '-b'???

Last edited by hungerfish (2010-06-05 14:06:22)

Beetles and bacteria are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival.

#2 2010-06-05 16:50:03

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED]2.6.34 fails to find rootfs, bug in mkinitcpio?

I doubt removal of autodetect did it. Odd that you explicitly needed to add ext4 to modules though. Your filesystems hook.. it is plural, right?

Last edited by falconindy (2010-06-05 16:51:04)

#3 2010-06-06 15:05:28

hungerfish

Re: [SOLVED]2.6.34 fails to find rootfs, bug in mkinitcpio?

Well probably the initrd just needed a proper rebuild, I just changed/added the config to make 'sure'.
I don't know why this didn't happen on updating the kernel though. mad

Beetles and bacteria are vastly more successful than humans in terms of survival.

Board footer