You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-06 17:06:54

ryanaghdam
Website

Emacs Keybindings in Tiling Window Managers

In the past, I've configured both Gnome and Xfce to use emacs key bindings.  Applications follow these settings as well, so that C-a, C-e work as expected in the address bar of chromium, for example.  Does anyone know how to do something similar for a tiling window manager such as StumpWM or Ratpoison?

#2 2010-06-06 20:57:46

Theomachos
Website

Re: Emacs Keybindings in Tiling Window Managers

Could you be more precise ?
Setting up keybindings is explained in the Stumpwm/Ratpoison documentation.... *confused*

http://www.nongnu.org/stumpwm/manual/stumpwm.html

http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/doc/

Last edited by Theomachos (2010-06-06 20:59:05)

There is one thing even more vital to science than intelligent methods; and that is, the sincere desire to find out the truth, whatever it may be.
Charles S. Peirce

#3 2010-06-07 03:14:35

upsidaisium
Website

Ratpoison already uses Emacs / GNU Screen style (chainable) keybindings -- but in Ratpoison most commands are prefixed by a C-t rather than C-x, C-a, etc.. Of course, as Theomachos mentioned, you can make custom keybindings.

Perhaps a clearer example of what you want to accomplish would help?

I've seen young people waste their time reading books about sensitive vampires. It's kinda sad. But you say it's not the end of the world... Well, maybe it is!

#4 2010-06-07 04:07:52

chpln

If I understand right, Emacs-style keybindings for input fields (for example) are handled by the toolkit or application, not by the window manager.  In the case of GNOME / Xfce, this can be done by modifiying .gtkrc-2.0.  This should also work under ratpoison or StumpWM for any programs using GTK.

~/.gtkrc-2.0

gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"

Were there any particular programs you were having trouble with?

#5 2010-06-07 13:27:21

ryanaghdam
Website

chpln wrote:

If I understand right, Emacs-style keybindings for input fields (for example) are handled by the toolkit or application, not by the window manager.  In the case of GNOME / Xfce, this can be done by modifiying .gtkrc-2.0.  This should also work under ratpoison or StumpWM for any programs using GTK.

~/.gtkrc-2.0

gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"

Were there any particular programs you were having trouble with?

This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!

Board footer