You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-06 17:29:47

pablox
Website

Weird jump when using the scroll wheel on USB mouse

Hi! I'm really confusing about this problem, to the point I don't know which could be the right way to explain it. I hope if I'm asking in the wrong place, just correct me.

Well, the thing is that suddenly (I think) my usb mouse (A4 Tech X7) started to act weird when using the scrolling wheel. I started to noticed that it makes some little jumps, specially when scrolling down. It makes like a little scroll up before starting the gesture. I think -but again not sure- happens more with firefox (but it could it be because I use it way more than any other app in my system) and is REALLY annoying. I don't know how to troubleshoot the problem, how to diagnose it, etc.

I just imagine that when I pull the wheel down (button5) it bounces slightly to its original position (going up, then button4), so that's makes the the strange behavior... I guess if I could edit some properties on the mouse to lower the sensitivity of the wheel I could "solve" the problem.

(Sorry if this was posted/asked before, I just didn't know how to look for it)

Any one has a clue about where I should start looking?

PS.- The touchpad works perfectly.

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

#2 2010-06-06 20:49:29

Andi

Re: Weird jump when using the scroll wheel on USB mouse

Hi,

sounds like your mouse wheel is broken (hardware).  Had the same issue as you described it.  Give it a try on another computer.  The effect should be the same.  Then you're sure it's a hardware malfunction.

#3 2010-06-06 23:10:43

pablox
Website

Re: Weird jump when using the scroll wheel on USB mouse

Well, I did two things... first I checked with xev what was happening and I did notice that when I was scrolling down (button 5), occasionally appearead some sort of lost button4 (scroll up), so I guess the problem is clear.

The second stuff is that I tried it on another computer and I found the same behavior so you're right... it's hardware malfunction...

Anybody knows if I can change some configuration so I can make the wheel sensitivity? Maybe I can do that as a "patch" solution until I buy a new one?

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

Board footer