You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-06 21:48:35

eyolf
Website

How to prevent computer from idling down

I have an old computer which serves as a file-/printer-/music-server on my LAN. It runs without a DM or X windows system.
After a period of inactivity, it idles down and becomes inaccessible through the network. The only way to wake it up, is by physical contact (pressing some key, e.g.).
After the awakening, the system clock is way off. Not by seconds or minutes but  by hours and days.

How deep down do I need to dig to prevent this? Is it bios-related, acpi, or something else? I've searched the logs, but haven't found anything -- also, I don't know what exactly to look for and where.

#2 2010-06-06 22:31:46

Skripka

Re: How to prevent computer from idling down

If your only problem is the clock being way off-look into using a NTP daemon...and probably replacing the battery on the mainboard.

#3 2010-06-07 00:18:20

lagagnon
Website

Re: How to prevent computer from idling down

First try your BIOS setup. Ensure you have ACPI enabled but ensure that you disable all power saving features in your BIOS (screen off, HD spindown, etc.)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer