You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-06 22:19:17

luke.browning
Website

Software RAID Automount

Hi all,

I've been trying to set up my disks in RAID 1 (mirrored). I used the disk utility in gnome to create the array.

I can start and then mount the array fine from the disk utility, but I am unsure how I can get the partition to mount itself when I start the machine. I tried adding lines to the fstab file but it just caused errors. Could anyone tell me how I can start the array and mount it automatically?

Thanks

#2 2010-06-06 22:24:45

Barrucadu
Website

Re: Software RAID Automount

I used this wiki guide when setting up RAID 1 on my desktop and server.

#3 2010-06-06 23:02:03

luke.browning
Website

Hmm I'm not sure if thats really what I need. I have made the array already, I just cant start it automatically at boot. The only way I can do it is once I'm into gnome, open disk utility and "Start RAID Array". Once I've started the array I can mount it fine (from the disk utility or terminal), I just cant seem to be able to start it when my computer starts!

#4 2010-06-07 08:00:52

Coacher

Just put info about your RAiD(mdadm --examine --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf) in /etc/mdadm.conf and it should be enabled during boot automatically.

#5 2010-06-07 10:58:28

luke.browning
Website

Ah thanks very much. Just in case anyone else gets this problem.

Add the output of "mdadm --examine --scan" to the mdadm.conf file. I also needed to add the devices to the file as well (mine looked like: DEVICE /dev/sdb /dev).

Then I opened up disk utility and the device name had changed from 0 to 127. So I added the following to fstab to automount the array: /dev/md127 /media/mirror ext4 defaults 0 2

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks for everyones help.

#6 2010-06-07 11:03:49

Coacher

luke.browning wrote:

Add the output of "mdadm --examine --scan" to the mdadm.conf file. I also needed to add the devices to the file as well (mine looked like: DEVICE /dev/sdb /dev).

What do you mean by this phrase?
P.S. Mark this as SOLVED, please.

Board footer