You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-08 11:02:39

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

LXDE in ArchLinux?

Three months ago when I changed from KDE4 to LXDE, there is no upgrade. The present LXDE stable version has too many short come. The newer upstream is still in beta and seems to be in very slow development. The few AUR packages are not enough or don't work.

I tried to return to KDE or other VM but can no longer be compared with LXDE, especially when I tried Lubuntu running the latest beta seeing what LXDE is to become. Its good!

First I tried LXDE in Linux Mint but Mint is too slow. Lubuntu is rising fast in Distrowatch. I am using it in my office, for time being and follow the LXDE development, waiting until LXDE get upgraded in Arch. Anybody developing the LXDE and PcManFM AUR packages? Or creating a "kdemod" style of project... lxdemod. cool

Markku

#2 2010-06-08 21:29:33

xamaco

Re: LXDE in ArchLinux?

As far as I know, lxde uses openbox. To openbox, it just adds a bunch of applications (some good, some not so good). Better than lxde, you can compose your own bunch of applications and add them to your own openbox setup. A bit more complicated, but so much more satisfying... And of course, you have an excellent wiki to help you out :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox

#3 2010-06-09 00:29:41

schen

PCmanFM2 is in the AUR. Just install pcmanfm-git.

#4 2010-06-09 06:46:09

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

As I said, "AUR packages are not enough or don't work." Example:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33601

What I am interested in this thread, from where do Lubuntu and Linux Mint get the latest sources or do they fix and develop the LXDE themselves?
Why I am still holding to LXDE, its between WM and DE. The WMs require too much configure and DEs too boating and non-configurable. It has simplicity and balance.

In my opinion, when Arch started it was "WM" oriented. When hwdetect was introduced it became "LXDE" oriented. Not as "GUI" but the trend (direction) of the development of core packages.... configurable + easiness = simplicity and balance.

Markku

Board footer