You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-08 11:51:28

Linuxmodel

How to install DKMS within Win7(host) + Arch(guest)

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=11657

The following is my environment:

Host: Win 7
Guest: Virtual Box + Arch (kernel 2.6.33)

Now, I want to adjust the resolution inside VBox, default is always 800x600 and cannot change it without any more actions.

So I refered to the manual in VBox, said need to install VBoxAddition.

But I don't know how to install DKMS, which is a project form DELL, and it seems to be prerequsite for VBoxAddition.

Thanks in advance.

#2 2010-06-08 12:05:36

sand_man

Re: How to install DKMS within Win7(host) + Arch(guest)

Ummm.... This is the second of these posts I've seen lately so I'm a little confused.
You just need to install virtualbox-additions from the official repos. The package is merely the guest additions iso file which you need to mount in the guest and install from there.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vir … _Additions

neutral

#3 2010-06-08 12:40:01

Linuxmodel

sand_man wrote:

Ummm.... This is the second of these posts I've seen lately so I'm a little confused.
You just need to install virtualbox-additions from the official repos. The package is merely the guest additions iso file which you need to mount in the guest and install from there.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vir … _Additions

Anyway, thank you for the reply.

But I look up in the URL you posted, it's used in the case of Arch(host) + Arch(guest) or as my understanding, at least Arch(host).

quoted from the Arch-Vitualbox wiki : "The instructions immediately below are for an Archlinux guest on an Archlinux host."

and I also tried as the instruction, it cannot work indeed. so I think DKMS is a must for WinXXX(host) + Arch(guest).

As for other guest hosted in WinXXXX, like Debian(Ubuntu), Fedora distros, it has repo package at hands, so can be used directly.
When it comes to our Arch, it's treated as Unsupported package, so I am asking how to install DKMS under such circumstances.

quotes from Virtual Box manual:

The VirtualBox Guest Additions for Linux are provided on the same ISO CD-ROM as the Additions for Windows described above. They also come with an installation program guiding you through the setup process, although, due to the significant differences between Linux distributions, installation may be slightly more complex.

Installation generally involves the following steps:

Before installing the Guest Additions, you will have to prepare your guest system for building external kernel modules. This works similarly as described in the section called "The VirtualBox kernel module", except that this step must now be performed in your Linux guest instead of on a Linux host system, as described there.

Again, as with Linux hosts, we recommend using DKMS for Linux guests as well. If it is not installed, use this command for Ubuntu/Debian systems:

sudo apt-get install dkms

or for Fedora systems:

yum install dkms

Make sure to nstall DKMS before installing the Linux Guest Additions.

Mount the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso file as your Linux guest's virtual CD-ROM drive, exactly the same way as described for a Windows guest in the section called "Installation".

Change to the directory where your CD-ROM drive is mounted and execute as root:

sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run

In a 64-bit Linux guest, use VBoxLinuxAdditions-amd64.run instead.

For your convenience, the following step-by-step instructions have been verified to work for freshly installed copies of the most popular Linux distributions. After these preparational steps, you can execute the VirtualBox Guest Additions installer as described above.

#4 2010-06-09 02:29:41

Linuxmodel

anyone ?   urgent...

#5 2010-06-09 04:14:17

sand_man

Yeah I don't know why it says that.
All the information you need is there.

Another option is to install one of these packages:

# pacman -S virtualbox-additions

or

# pacman -S virtualbox-ose-additions

You will then have an ISO to mount as a loop device. Remember to load the loop kernel module before:

# modprobe loop
# mount /usr/lib/virtualbox/additions/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso /media/cdrom -o loop

Then execute VBoxLinuxAdditions.run as before. Before adding rc.vboxadd to DAEMONS check /etc/rc.local for commands to load the vboxadd daemons put by the installation script.

neutral

#6 2010-06-09 07:38:17

henry324

thanks for the post

#7 2010-06-09 09:14:28

gablink

For me the additions doesn't change the resolution. For that, I must change the line VGA=xxx on kernel line and LXDE takes the same resolution smile

Ps: My english is bad I'm french tongue

Board footer