You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-08 17:58:21

olga

pyglet + avbin troubles (avbin not found)

Hi!

Community/pyglet 1.1.4-1 is a Python library that allows, amongst other things, playing media files such as MP3s. But, it only has this ability if the system has avbin installed.

After installing community/avbin 7-1, pyglet still can't detect the avbin library. It complains the library is missing and refuses to play MP3 files.

Checking /usr/lib manually, I find the following:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root    13 Apr  9 21:55 libavbin.so -> libavbin.so.7
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   10K Apr  9 21:55 libavbin.so.7

This is peculiar, since libavbin.so.7 shouldn't be so small. Checking its web repository, I can see the library is supposed to be bigger than a megabyte.

If I remove community/avbin and instead just download and install the library offered to me on the official googlecode repository, pyglet agrees to play the file, but no sound actually comes out. Rather, I just hear an audible pop - and that's it. I've configured pyglet to use ALSA.

Is community/avbin broken?

And if it is, why can't pyglet play any music while using the library I manually installed?

If you need any more info I might've missed out, please ask. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by olga (2010-06-08 18:02:47)

#2 2010-06-10 21:57:07

olga

Re: pyglet + avbin troubles (avbin not found)

Responding to my own questions, in case someone else has the same problem:

1) It seems community/avbin 7-1 really is broken. A bug has been reported, but activity on that issue seems to be very low. Installing avbin from googlecode will work fine.

2) Pyglet isn't playing music because you may be using it incorrectly. You have to actually call pyglet.app.run() in order for the music to be played, not just run player.play().

#3 2010-06-10 22:04:46

mikesd
Website

Re: pyglet + avbin troubles (avbin not found)

Good to know, olga. I'm, playing with pyglet myself at the moment though I'm concentrating on the OpenGL side of things. Haven't tried sound or video.

Pyglet is an impressive library and the documentation is fantastic.

Board footer